project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Feedback  (Read 2196 times)

Offline hatfarm

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Feedback
« on: June 29, 2010, 03:58:11 am »
I had a laggy mouse for pretty much everything, but I'm using a mediocre 3 year old laptop that has no graphics card (just an accelerator) and 2gb memory and 1.5ghz dual core processor.  So, I just assumed it was my computer. 

I really like the idea of having pilots for each craft, I'm hoping that they will eventually have stats that affect their piloting so you can pick up different pilots for different crafts (like some are better at combat, and others are good at landing in advantageous spots for battle).  I like the base layout as well, the new facilities are good, I REALLY like the idea of having different sized hangars, that adds some more strategy to the base layout design. 

One thing I always wished you could do in X-Com was set up your initial base layout, since that is something you could conceivably do if you're there starting up the group, I realize that's not really the case in UFO:AI though.  Still, I think it would be nice.

The interception I think could be done better.  I didn't realize my first craft had been shot down because I wasn't looking at the time, I think it'd be nice to be able to observe the battle a bit better (similar to how X-Com does it, but you could do better, that was my least favorite thing of X-Com).  I'd like to see more interaction in the intercept mode.

The battlescape I didn't do much, but I would prefer bringing them out of the ship myself.  The battlescape was slow for me, because of my computer, but I played a little bit.  Orientation was a bit weird, it was difficult to exactly move and things, but I think that might have been due to my computer's slowness.

The only other problem I had was with the layout of the geoscape, it's not laid out to be incredibly user friendly, I had to go searching for a lot of things that would have been nice to have them be very obvious, I do like the timing and zoom controls though.  I wouldn't mind seeing the stopping of time going away though (just my X-Com purist showing).

Offline Jarkill

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 04:39:22 am »
Welcome to the forums!

I really like the idea of having pilots for each craft, I'm hoping that they will eventually have stats that affect their piloting so you can pick up different pilots for different crafts (like some are better at combat, and others are good at landing in advantageous spots for battle).
Something like this. I believe I read something about a combat skill and a hidden survival skill and something else, but stats for pilots is planned (I think so, anyway)

One thing I always wished you could do in X-Com was set up your initial base layout, since that is something you could conceivably do if you're there starting up the group, I realize that's not really the case in UFO:AI though.  Still, I think it would be nice.
You're not the first person to come up with this complaint, you probably won't be the last.

The battlescape...  Orientation was a bit weird, it was difficult to exactly move and things, but I think that might have been due to my computer's slowness.
I agree. Is there a "result to default view" button, or plans to put one in?

The only other problem I had was with the layout of the geoscape, it's not laid out to be incredibly user friendly, I had to go searching for a lot of things that would have been nice to have them be very obvious, I do like the timing and zoom controls though.  I wouldn't mind seeing the stopping of time going away though (just my X-Com purist showing).

I think pause was added just recently (the last version I played was 2.2.1 though, so yeah). 5 seconds is still so slow as to be the same though, really. 12 seconds to a minute, 12 minutes to an hour. It can take a dropship more than 20 hours to reach your destination, do the math. Might as well keep pause anyway though, no reason removing something that doesn't detract.

Personally the Geoscape has really improved - I really like the new swivel to events tab thing (although loading a game while I was swivelling or loading a game being swivelled caused the camera to lose it, or maybe I was dragging the mouse). Would it be possible to have the same for bases (IE a menu showing all bases, but the menu can be closed, same with dropships. Also maybe like the statistics a "global production" setup as well as an automatic-transfer-equipment-to-base-setup (Say, you have a manufacturing facility pumping out ammunition or something and getting it auto sent to the base with your dropship teams, or whatever).)

The highlight nation borders setting was a bit too bright for me - would it be possible to get a brightness setting? (Then again I'm probably the only guy who thinks this, being blinded by the Skype's colours)

/rant

Anyway, tldr: Welcome new guy, agree, agree, whine, whine.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 09:10:42 am »

I can do this for you IMHO. Before we had a "freebuild" mode when you could set up your initial base from scratch with no build time but that was removed because it called out for cheating. But the same buildingset in different layout would not harm the campaign. Could you make some layout plans for me?

What were you missing? Base/Installation/Aircraft list? Anything else?

-geever