project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Where's the "original destructible Terrain Thread/Discussion"?  (Read 2212 times)

Offline nueff

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Hi!

Sorry, but what I can find with the forum search on this topic are mostly threads that have been closed with the advice to use the forum search... where's the "original destructible Terrain Thread" with all the info about what's possible and what's not?

Like why the spawning of emptyspace-objects isn't possible...
Or why "fancy lighting" seems to have higher priority than destructible terrain...
And stuff....

Everywhere I looked, there has only been said, "this has been discussed to death". But where?

Thanks!

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Where's the "original destructible Terrain Thread/Discussion"?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 02:13:23 pm »
Large scale destructible terrain is not in possibilities of Q2 engine. End of story.

Offline nueff

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 02:32:48 pm »
I see... so what you mean is: either you don't know or there is no thread where this has actually been discussed, just at lot of threads where it has been explicitly not discussed? So was all the in-depth talk in IRC or something?

No need to end-of-story-me, that's what I'm looking for, the end of that story! Or the beginning... some part of it, I don't care! I'm not trying to start a discussion, just trying to find the old discussion that has been mentioned in many threads so I can do some catching up.

Enough about discussing discussions... just someone please point me into the general direction of where that "destructible-terrain-not-possible"-stuff was concluded, all suggestions have been made and deemed impossible etc...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 02:34:56 pm by nueff »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 03:16:13 pm »
Discussions probably never got very far into technical details because most people asking the question wouldn't know enough to understand the answer (like me). If you're a coder interested in helping out with the engine's rendering system, I'd suggest talking to Arisian who seems to be the main guy working on the engine. He could tell you more details about what the limitations/difficulties are, if he has the patience.

Real-time lighting has a higher priority than destructable terrain (which basically has no priority at this point) because it involves improvements to the engine, whereas destructable terrain would seem to require a huge overhaul of the engine. Also, real-time lighting would be a necessary pre-requisite to destructable terrain. Without it destroyed terrain could not be lit properly.