project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New Rocket Launcher  (Read 38754 times)

Offline Origin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: New Rocket Launcher
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 07:40:20 pm »
I personally like to bake an ambient occlusion map for the model no matter what, makes for a good base for textures but doesnt stand out too much.

Not gonna comment on color stuf, I dont know :P

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 07:49:08 pm »
Looks really cool. The old rocket-launcher has a rather ugly texture. I can imagine this one looking much better in-game.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 08:09:06 pm »
Regarding the textures & our existing models:

Our current weapon (& other) models are all .md2 files.

Our current weapons models have just their (mostly painted) textures applied. Afaik none of them has even a normalmap nor do they have roughness or specularity maps (yet), but many of the currently used models already have glowmaps.

So if you want to help us out with any of those or want to exchange any of the models I suggest you extract base/models.pk3 (a simple zip) & have a look @ the models/weapons folder to see where work has to be done for yourself.

Imho we do not need too much detail for the weapons, but afaik the engine even supports different model LODs, so you could provide several (afair up to 3) .md2s for the weapons also if you like.

Again, great job, thanx a lot for helping, 'Flying Steel' !

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 02:05:04 am »
Regarding the color/pattern, one neat choice would be to change it according to what the soldier wears (but I'm fairly sure the code doesn't support that).

I don't know if my opinion will carry any weight but I think a non-reflective black would be the best choice. Barring that, the glossy black.

Offline Flying Steel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 07:39:14 am »
@Origin

Indeed, AO bakes are very useful. You can use them for high quality self shadowing, to see where unconnected geometry intersects in UV space, and for scorch or grit effects. I just finished a final quality AO bake for this model earlier today.

Out of curiosity, what's your strategy distributing your AO bakes across the diffuse and specular textures?

@MCR

Thanks. I think I'll look for more direction from the design folks directly though when it comes to replacing more of the legacy weapons' graphics, to cut through some of the red tape of the approval process.

As for levels of detail, this model is only 500 tris, which is the max the wiki said weapons should be, and LoD's don't make sense for a model that will at most add 16,000 tris to a battlescape scene, which is nothing. So the polycount for weapons would need to be raised for there to be any sense in making LoDs, imo.

@Hertzilla

My guess is dynamic camo on weapons probably isn't supported either.

A non-reflective, matte look would basically make the normal, specular and roughness maps pointless. It could be done, but it wouldn't enhance the visual quality over the model it is replacing. Plus, looking at some real world references, it wouldn't be any more accurate or realistic, I don't think.

But if there is no disagreement put forward, I think I'll go with your second choice of glossy black. :)

Offline Origin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 02:50:14 pm »
@Flying Steel

i usually start my textures with a base color and then create a layer for the AO and put it on multiply, then just paint on top of that.

Offline Flying Steel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 11:25:50 pm »
Normal, Diffuse and Specular Mapping:

Not sure what's supposed to be done with the 'roughness' map, only a very vague idea.

So what do you say devs, is this a wrap?
What formats do you want this turned in as?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 12:32:37 pm »
Normal, Diffuse and Specular Mapping:

Not sure what's supposed to be done with the 'roughness' map, only a very vague idea.

So what do you say devs, is this a wrap?
What formats do you want this turned in as?

It's really shaping up, but is there any possibility of adding more texture greebling or just a few more details? A sticker or two, or even some sudged writing, to break up the black.

Regards,
Winter

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 08:30:13 pm »
When this weapon is ready, if someone can custom the "stand2" actor animation for this weapon, it will be very helpfull.
For example creating "stand2_nameoftheweapon", for an only one body model. With that, it will help to implement better preview in the UI.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 02:39:56 am »
when the new characters are ready, then a position will be made for weapons such as this

Offline Flying Steel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 06:54:48 am »
It's really shaping up, but is there any possibility of adding more texture greebling or just a few more details? A sticker or two, or even some sudged writing, to break up the black.

Like this? (Also I scuffed up the paint job a bit.)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 12:10:45 pm »
Like this? (Also I scuffed up the paint job a bit.)

Fantastic. Just gives it a little bit more character.

Regards,
Winter

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010, 03:18:05 pm »
heh "Warning: Do not look into the barrel when firing." or "Warning: Do not place limb in, or over, opening of barrel."

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 04:10:45 pm »
Looking great! The black texture is fantastic IMO and the text is a nice detail.
Also, unless that second text is this already, you could print/engrave the client's/supposed manufacturer's and weapon's name onto the barrel, either with red or plain steel color (if possible you should engrave it, as they are usually done that way so they won't wear out).

heh "Warning: Do not look into the barrel when firing." or "Warning: Do not place limb in, or over, opening of barrel."

While funny when you first think about it, they might very well be something like that. I don't exactly remember where I heard his but doesn't the LAW rocket launcher have "idiotproof" instructions printed on it on how to aim and fire it, with relative safety? LAW is disposable though, so it might not count for our future CG.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2010, 08:15:55 pm »
While funny when you first think about it, they might very well be something like that. I don't exactly remember where I heard his but doesn't the LAW rocket launcher have "idiotproof" instructions printed on it on how to aim and fire it, with relative safety?

I know american claymore mines have 'This side towards you' and 'This side towards enemy' printed on them.

Regards,
Winter