project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: What features are still missing for UGVs?  (Read 17830 times)

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
Re: What features are still missing for UGVs?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 07:11:26 pm »
My proposal: separately. For example, start with a machinegun (explaining that it was a quick hack to field vehicle as fast as possible in the writeup), then, with some research, add grenade launcher or rocket launcher or even 30mm autocannon (okay, last one was just because I like 2A42 with it's selectable feed feature).

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, 07:15:54 pm »
If UGVs have separate rotating turrets, how will the player turn the turret without turning the body?

I'm fine with having UGVs and turrets as separate items. But I'd like the UI to have you buy a pre-configured UGV. Otherwise it will get unnecessarilycomplex figuring out which turrets fit which UGVs. It would be easy to define a UGV as a base and a turret, and still re-use the turret models. Battle Tank (Autocannon); Battle Tank (Rocket); Battle Tank (Grenade Launcher). Unless we're going to have more than a dozen possible UGV configurations, I don't think it's worth making it too complicated for the user.

Nokim

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2012, 08:50:14 pm »
If UGVs have separate rotating turrets, how will the player turn the turret without turning the body?
Add something like Shift-RClick or Alt-RClick?

Dozen of combination you can get very easy. 3 UGV types (scout, medium and heavy) x 6 weapon types (machinegun, plasma, laser, cannon, grenade launcher, particle beam). Add here next-gen UGVs...

So, to make life more easy for user may be it's worth to add filters to market instead? Something like "show only compatible weapons/parts/equipment for..." It can be useful for aircraft too.

Making only predefined configurations make upgrades more expensive or non-obvious and force to buy unnecessary things.

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2012, 09:06:42 pm »

Easiest option: skip it, as the original did. Turn turret only when firing, and that's all.

I'm fine with having UGVs and turrets as separate items. But I'd like the UI to have you buy a pre-configured UGV. Otherwise it will get unnecessarilycomplex figuring out which turrets fit which UGVs. It would be easy to define a UGV as a base and a turret, and still re-use the turret models. Battle Tank (Autocannon); Battle Tank (Rocket); Battle Tank (Grenade Launcher). Unless we're going to have more than a dozen possible UGV configurations, I don't think it's worth making it too complicated for the user.

Possibly, we can make some sort of proxy item at the market which will, when bought, unpack itself into base+turret combo? geever, what is your opinion on that?