project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Game is x86_64 only?  (Read 8305 times)

Offline angry i686 user

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Game is x86_64 only?
« on: June 18, 2010, 02:45:48 pm »
I have downloaded latest 2.3 release for Linux from this page:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Download
Installation was successful, but when I try to run 'ufoai', it complains that binary file 'ufo' fails to start. Command 'file /path/to/ufoai/ufo' tells me that binary file 'ufo' is for x86_64.

Will you build 32-bit version, or game is 64-bit only?

Offline booTheHamster

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Game is x86_64 only?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 05:51:43 pm »
Confirm that.

I download ufoai .run packege. Install via "sudo sh ./ufoai-2.3-linux.run" in default folder. Then type in terminal "ufoai", and get error:
"bash: ./ufo: не удалось выполнить бинарный файл" (bash: ./ufo: cannot execute binary file).

$ uname -a
Linux booc 2.6.32-23-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 11 07:54:58 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

$ locale
LANG=ru_RU.utf8
LC_CTYPE="ru_RU.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="ru_RU.utf8"
LC_TIME="ru_RU.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="ru_RU.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="ru_RU.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="ru_RU.utf8"
LC_PAPER="ru_RU.utf8"
LC_NAME="ru_RU.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="ru_RU.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="ru_RU.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="ru_RU.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="ru_RU.utf8"
LC_ALL=

$ ll /usr/local/games/ufoai
итого 11M
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  4,0K 2010-06-18 19:40 base/
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  8,9M 2010-06-18 19:40 ufo*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1008K 2010-06-18 19:40 ufo2map*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  3,1K 2010-06-18 19:40 ufoai*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  1,1M 2010-06-18 19:40 ufoded*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  1,7K 2010-06-18 19:40 uninstall*

$ ll /usr/local/bin

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4,0K 2010-06-07 18:34 lang/
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3,7K 2010-04-30 23:36 freetype-config*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  114 2010-05-04 19:27 hoh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  247 2010-05-04 19:27 hoh-uninstall*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2,2M 2010-06-07 18:34 transgui*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   29 2010-06-18 19:40 ufoai -> /usr/local/games/ufoai//ufoai*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1,6K 2010-05-04 19:30 jd.sh*

$ file ufo
ufo: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, not stripped

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 08:16:13 pm »
no, it's not 64bit only - i've made a mistake while uploading the installer - used the wrong binaries. a new installer will be created and uploaded soon

Adavistic Puma

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 09:09:07 pm »
Using that same installer (on my amd64) gives me no game.so, so I cant enter any missions.

(meanwhile the .debs give me missing symbol errors - related to sound I think ... and they depend on nvidia drivers???)

Offline angry i686 user

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 04:04:43 pm »
no, it's not 64bit only - i've made a mistake while uploading the installer - used the wrong binaries. a new installer will be created and uploaded soon
So, we are waiting for almost 3 weeks.
Do you have serious problems with installer?

Offline Naiwniak

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 06:33:41 pm »
So, we are waiting for almost 3 weeks.
Do you have serious problems with installer?

They dont care about Linux users, most ppl playing this game use Windows because its most popular platform. So just play 2.2 until you get bored and then go play some other game... As you see, waiting for 32 bit version of this game is pointless. This is unprofessional for fun project...

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 07:10:56 pm »
in fact most of the devs are linux users. the problem is that the loki installer is broken and nobody fixed it yet. the goal should be that the distributions add the game to their repositories. or someone has to fix the loki or mojo installer.

Offline Naiwniak

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 02:03:54 am »
the goal should be that the distributions add the game to their repositories. or someone has to fix the loki or mojo installer.
In your point of view this game will be never released on linux 32bit. Faster I run Windows version by Wine than Linux distributors add this game to repositories. Anyway its a bit sad how Project leader deal with it. Also I dont understand very well this part about loki/mojo fixing, previous version of this game works good, then new version was released and everything is fracked up now, publishers of mojo/loki need to fix it - man? I dont want to mess around with compiling game from svn etc, so I have one simple question - Will you release this game under 32 bit linux faster than I forget about this game?

Just compile this fracking game under 32bit and paste here those fracking files so we can play this fracking, ass kicking game as in the good old days when we was using 88MHz PCs with a fracking turbo button...

ps. otherwise ill eat ur cat, then ill go back on Windows to play this game anyway...

@Kildor, I more want to pay for this game than for commercial UFO, released after X-Com series ;)
@Destructavator, good to hear that but still no solution :D Yes I tried to compile this game on my own, I freaked out after console information about downloading/installing new 127 packages.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:14:56 am by Naiwniak »

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 06:26:36 am »
blah-blah-blah.
Have you payed this game already?

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 06:44:02 am »
@Naiwniak:

First, we do intend to fix this issue and are working toward it - I run Linux alongside Windows on my computers, and some of the developers here run almost exclusively Linux, it isn't something we're giving up on.

Second:

Please watch your language here and try to be more civil.  I see a lot of very strong language in your post, much of which is uncalled for, and this isn't one of those trashy forums on the net where that type of thing is all over the board.  You are welcome to voice your opinion and feedback, but please try to be more decent in presenting it.

Edit:  I see you cleaned up your post - Thank you.  As for a solution, as I said we're not giving up on it, and if you have time to contribute a fix, or help in some way so we get there sooner, that would be welcome.  This is, after all, pretty much a volunteer project, made up of people who donate their time to build the game.
Until then, have you tried compiling the game from SVN?  Its very easy on Linux.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:05:44 am by Destructavator »

Offline romanovzky

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 07:54:19 pm »
I just have to say that I'm a linux user and actually I've came across this game because it has linux binnaries. I was a fan of xcom and this game was like my pride as linux user that also plays once in a while.

I'm not a developer nor a programmer (I do know C and C++ but I'm in a physics msc and my skills extend only to help me out in my area), and for that I'm sorry I can't contribute to bring a linux version for the masses.

Dispite that, I'm running ubuntu and the folks in getdeb.net (right now is offline...) have a rep for games which includes ufo 2.2, I was expecting them to make a 2.3 build but they are having problems with servers as it seems. But I guess most of your dev members run some kind of debian distro (unless you guys are so linux fans that run arch and gentoo) and so I really thought it was easy to make a .deb installer or a .rpm installer (red hat is also very used).

Once you could make them (the installers) and if you don't want to overload your servers with a rep (I understand that!) you can always relly on people who make reps as their contribution to the linux community. As a portuguese I know 1 server that can help you:

darkstar.ist.utl.pt

And also getdeb but theier server has been ill, but I guess they would be really happy to host your packages in their reps.

Also, there are many blogs that own theier own ppa (a public repository for ubuntu) like webupd8, maybe if you just do some advertising somebody will gladdly host your packages.

I don't know if I was much of a help, but sometimes I get the feelling that projects like this don't have much interest in owning theier reps and for that forget to compile or make an installer.

Also the SVN is alright to install, I did it more than once, but a stable version is much more important for must of us...

Offline Naiwniak

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 04:03:37 am »
Ive just compiled 2.3v, it takes about 3,5h... from running script to start the game. Compiled on fresh Ubuntu 32 bit 10.04, 1Mb connection, ic2d 1,800. Game works fine except for perceptible FPS drop in missions. GJ new version is much better than last one!

ps. Mattn tell ur cat that he is safe until 2.4v :D

Edit:
Its why I like to play "out of box" games... Some missing maps, need to overwrite it by pk3 from SF, game often crashing when in tactical mission "Error: Received signal 11." etc, long way...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:09:10 am by Naiwniak »