project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New to UFOAI have some questions / critisisms / suggestions  (Read 17227 times)

Offline Gantoris

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: New to UFOAI have some questions / critisisms / suggestions
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2010, 08:22:29 pm »
Am very exited about 2.3 release and lookin forward to havin a crack (aint had time to sit down and play yet), got my fingers crossed that RF actually works now and i can actually enjoy the game. To be honest i dont really care what system is used as long as its reliable, thats pretty much the key for me. I need to know that when i cover a door that its covered.

Offline greatlordd

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2010, 08:42:51 pm »
The current Reaction Fire doesn't work, I mean I had three squadmates cover one of the entrances  of a harvester, they all had rf on, any alien that popped up should get splayed not walk into the open look and select it target, kill said target does a victory dance and then dance behind cover. I don't mind losing a guy to the alien that pops out at a angle i haven't got covered or it taking out a troop who has rf turned off (that my fault).

Reaction Fire in the previous system made sense and it worked, wasn't game breaking at all. The way RF works is game breaking cause I'm losing trrops at a rate I can't replace and 1/2 to 3/4 of those losses wouldn't have occured if RF worked as it did previously. Has there been a change to recruitment of troops in normal  cause I had 16 at the beginning but it now down to 12 and half of those are in hospital. And there seems to be no more replacements. Bit annoying as there are more pilots currently available than I need. If I keep playing this current build within a month in game time phalanx will have no troops left.

And I only encounted the Tamans so far in groups of 4 with plasma pistols are actually causing more grief to me than larger groups of sometimes 12 (armed with anything) used to do in previous versions. Sure I used reaction fire, but in most games most of the time reaction fire did more damage than achieved kills. Like out of 8 aliens, in most case i get 2 with reation fire, the remaining aliens get killed in my own turn.

The losses I'm occuring in this current build are like I used to get when I didn't use reaction fire in previous builds when I was just learning how it works.So in my eyes the current implementation of Reaction Fire makes no impact on the game for the player.

Despite that I do like this game it enjoyable, it atmospheric, hunting down the aliens can be scary but the current reaction fire system is in my opinion ruining the feel of the combat.

Edit: Can any clarify how I would go about reactivating the previous Reaction Fire implementation, as I thought I had followed everything said in the fix thread but it doesn't seem to work.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:07:59 pm by greatlordd »

Offline Gantoris

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2010, 10:21:20 pm »
Thats very disappointing news indeed, i was really hoping that the 2.3 full release would have sorted out the problem guess gonna have to shelve my plans to have a good crack at it for a while yet as i just cant cope with the rage inducing stupidity of it. I would also really like to know how to reactivate the old system, ive tried everything people have said but it doesnt seem to work no matter what i do.

Offline greatlordd

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2010, 12:25:55 am »
I'm just tempted to play the old version I have despite the fact it has no alien bases, and the ai doesn't assualt yours. But combat was stilll good and reaction fire worked. It felt like they had got the combat down pat in the old version, just very few maps to play on.