project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Production for profit  (Read 15244 times)

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Production for profit
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 05:58:14 am »
it might be tempting to be able to produce things for profit and thus have more money, but in my opinion such kind of thinking (assuming the purpose is to have more money, not to enjoy an economy game) is either extremely short-sighted or even masochistic.

well, suppose you can now produce for profit.
guess what, the game is now balanced in such way that you still have the same amount of money.
except that now you have to produce for profit.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 10:55:01 am »
well, suppose you can now produce for profit.
guess what, the game is now balanced in such way that you still have the same amount of money.
except that now you have to produce for profit.

;D

Offline Eaun

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 08:17:35 am »
Well in my "thinking of the game's background story" way,  "You" (as in, the commander, the soldiers, and the whole PHALANX operation as a whole) are a set of "the best that mankind could gather" and, is supported in logistics by the UN, BUT in supplies and credits by the nations of such UNs. So, From the point of view of those nations, "Im Paying so we can live. Im NOT paying so the commander of the PHALANX unit gets rich".

So, in an economical point of view, you (the commander) are NOT the CEO of that "company". you are just a middle manager. You are not allowed to set the price of the products you make WITH the funding of others.

Also, You are a unit created to Help Mankind. So its expected you pretty much give away all the technologies and products you achieve. Im surprised you are even allowed to sell back stuff. Anim even more surprised that the nations dont set some production/research quotas to fulfill by the end of moth :D (nudge to designers)

Offline richcop

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 06:48:20 am »

Also, You are a unit created to Help Mankind. So its expected you pretty much give away all the technologies and products you achieve. Im surprised you are even allowed to sell back stuff. Anim even more surprised that the nations dont set some production/research quotas to fulfill by the end of moth :D (nudge to designers)

Please no quota's. It is hard enough to keep all the countries happy as it is without making them mad that we didn't discover a new alien technology. Talking about realism here.... Terrorist attack in Mumbai, you killed 10 aliens, lost 3 good men, 1 civilian dies, saved 7 others from annihilation and India gets pissed because you didn't figure out why all the aliens have implants in their throats.

I played X-Com for years, I had to get a torrent for it to work on my newer computers. I liked the ability to sell products for a profit, however the cost didn't pay off until late in the game. It would be nice to be able to sell the items produced for a marginal profit, or make the cost of producing just a little less then buying it off the market. If I can research a new gas grenade and voila it appears in the market for me to buy, why would I even invest in workers? As it is now I only have one base with workers and that is solely to tear apart UFO's that I capture. I would suggest a marginal mark down of say 5%. Not enough to mass produce for profit, but just enough to cover the overhead costs of hiring workers and building the workshop. At least make it worth having a workshop in my base.

Offline ManicMiner

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 05:44:16 pm »
Terrorist attack in Mumbai, you killed 10 aliens, lost 3 good men, 1 civilian dies, saved 7 others from annihilation and India gets pissed because you didn't figure out why all the aliens have implants in their throats.

Yes, I know what you mean. One thing that does bug me and that's when a whole bloc of nations go from borderline ecstacy to apathy in the space of three months despite you shooting down every alien ship that invades their airspace... while another bloc puts you on the Christmas card list despite you ignoring them completely.

I've yet to see anything in the UI to explain what it was you did to piss them off!

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 06:13:08 pm »
Yes, I know what you mean. One thing that does bug me and that's when a whole bloc of nations go from borderline ecstacy to apathy in the space of three months despite you shooting down every alien ship that invades their airspace... while another bloc puts you on the Christmas card list despite you ignoring them completely.

I've yet to see anything in the UI to explain what it was you did to piss them off!

While I'm not sure about this and there is nothing in the UI that would say this but I think the "on favourites list despite ignoring" is because those UFOs you shot down were heading towards those places and their leaders automagically know it. Conversely, the former issue might be caused by a too rapid "erosion" of the relations and the lack of intercepted UFOs (heading there).

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 12:06:34 am »
@Hertzila:
Compliment, that's a brilliant theory :)

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 12:21:12 am »
@Hertzila:
Compliment, that's a brilliant theory :)

Thanks  :)
But is that how it actually goes? I haven't checked any scripts or the code to see if that's how it works.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 12:34:37 am »
I didn't look it up either. geever probably knows how it works.

I was more referring to your ability to "think of things you don't see". Are you sure you're not a coder ?

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 12:50:29 am »
I didn't look it up either. geever probably knows how it works.

I was more referring to your ability to "think of things you don't see". Are you sure you're not a coder ?

Nope. Not a one using a "real" programming language (C,C++,Java,etc.) yet, at the very least. I've tested some of the game making software like Game Maker before and I sometimes mess with game files to do small-scale mods, though I don't know if either of those count. [/offtopic]

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 01:14:48 am »
Being able to *guess* how the program works/should work is the important part of coding.
Learning how to write that down in C/C++/whatever is the easy part.

So watch yourself if this was just a one-day-strike-by-genius or if it happens more often...

And Yes, we're rather offtopic. Bear with me...

Offline Senteth

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 02:46:17 am »
Entirely aside from fluff reasons, from a gameplay standpoint I think that manufacturing items should at least be a competitive alternative to buying items off the market. As it is, manufacturing facilities are really only good for disassembling UFOs and producing new equipment that hasn't made it to the market yet. There is -never- any reason or incentive to manufacture anything else with them. You don't need to make them become cash cows or alternative income sources- just lower the production costs to be equal to the price you can sell an item for. That way you make a net zero from selling manufactured goods, yet also have an incentive to actually produce them in the first place.

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 07:29:39 am »
"Don't buy chinese weapons, they'll break easily!!!" :D

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 12:56:37 am »
....just lower the production costs to be equal to the price you can sell an item for. That way you make a net zero from selling manufactured goods, yet also have an incentive to actually produce them in the first place.
That concept sounds *very* good to me.

BTAxis ??

Offline Fritz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 07:19:01 pm »
At the begining of the game i missed this facility of quick profit like the Laserguns in X-Com wth 150% benefit. But after a few months (in the game) i'm rich enough to buy or build anything i want to do. And now i like this "Same-Price-for-all"-Market. It make it very quick to send ammunition, weapons and other useful hardware from one base to another over the buy/sell function.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:22:14 pm by Fritz »