project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Stability  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Stability
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:55:48 pm »
Which one is more stable windows ufoai or linux ufoai because i have both and can use either of them by pressing restart. Or are they both equaly unstable?

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Stability
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 10:24:11 pm »
Which one is more stable windows ufoai or linux ufoai because i have both and can use either of them by pressing restart. Or are they both equaly unstable?
Way more specifics needed. What Windows version? What UFO:AI build version? What system specs?

Just for starters. Then maybe someone can help you.

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 12:44:26 am »
Ok if you look in offtopic and look at comp stats youll see my, well... comp stats and windows version, by linux i mean ubuntu/debian(there are many linux types and i use/have used these two), and the latest build version for 2.3dev(I have 29229)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 07:19:41 am »
I've worked with dev builds of this project on both major platforms, Windows XP Home, XP MCE, Vista, Win 7, as well as Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and even ReactOS*.  In a nutshell, it is most stable on whatever OS you're most familiar with and can tweak the easiest.  Most (but not all) bugs that I've seen are the same across platforms, although some do affect only one operating system.

I've also noticed that on some machines the game runs faster or slower depending on what you're running it on, sometimes on Windows it is faster, other times Linux.  I haven't found any pattern to this yet, however, or figured out what the key factor is that makes that difference.

*ReactOS isn't really from either family of operating systems, and I wouldn't recommend attempting to run UFO:AI on ReactOS at present unless you really know what you are doing (and don't mind breaking things).   ;)

Edit: Looking at the specs you posted, I'd guess it would run OK on either operating system on your machine.

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 12:52:42 pm »
Cool thanx for the info