project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: headgear ideas.  (Read 4283 times)

Offline DiDiT

• Squad Leader
  • Your local Flame-thrower wielding Furry.
    • View Profile
headgear ideas.
« on: March 07, 2010, 10:50:04 pm »
Since the game is seemingly lacking in the headgear for your troops, I came up with a few ideas:

THERMAL-GOGGLES: we have night vision one's, why not thermal? allowing detection of heat signatures trough thin walls in a, say, 12 space range while making it harder to shoot at anything outside of that range a lot harder.

BRAINWAVE DETECTION GOGGLES: I'm thinking, based on the research into the alien brain, it might be possible to create a set of goggles that, while not saying were the aliens are, would display a threat counter that would tell the user of the amount of alien brain waves in the area and how threatening this is. e.g. a wounded, non armoured, alien armed with a plasma pistol, would be low threat, while a group of particle cannon wielding, reaction-fire ready drunk and disgruntled Scotsmen aliens would be high threat.

'ZOOM' GOGGLES: Goggles that are, fundamentally, a set of targeting computers stuck to some Binoculars for your troops, boosting the long range Capabilities of a soldier while making shots take some more TU's and making reaction shots almost impossible.

So, are they any good?

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: headgear ideas.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 01:19:45 am »
1. We already have IR-Goggles, aka Thermal Goggles. "IR" stands for "Infra-Red". Though because of this, either our IRs are going to just have a "boost" mode that works as a night-vision (when the night penalty and visibility as a whole is implemented) seperated from the full-thermal view (no identifying but can see through thin walls) or you give them another set of Light Amplifiers, aka night vision goggles.

2. Impossible to create. You measure brainwaves by sticking electrodes into ones head and the aliens WILL NOT cooperate with that.

3. What's the use? Right now soldiers have unlimited range, no need for binocs.

I do agree that there needs to be more stuff for the headgear slot, one old idea, partly mine, was about throwable cameras and headsets able to link up to them. Throw one behind you and no alien can sneak up to you. Or check rooms with it if you have the time.

Offline DiDiT

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 08:54:42 am »
yeah, good point about the IR goggles. not sure how that slipped me. as for the brain wave one, I made that post late a night, so I probably wasn't thinking straight. but surely it's possible to pick up that telepathic link the aliens have.

3. What's the use? Right now soldiers have unlimited range, no need for binocs.

I was thinking more of a high accuracy bonus that made aimed shots a lot more deadly for only slightly more  TU's, for example, turning a good shot with a laser rifle into a sniper. nothing to do with the actual sight range of the troops.

also, your camera idea would be good. but, if I'm getting you right, it sounds like its effect is sorta like what the electro-flare did from xcom stuck to a camera.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:54:48 pm »
I was thinking more of a high accuracy bonus that made aimed shots a lot more deadly for only slightly more  TU's, for example, turning a good shot with a laser rifle into a sniper. nothing to do with the actual sight range of the troops.

It might be just me but I understand/understood the "boosting long range capabilities" as "increases sight range". My mistake. Still, while it now makes sense and has some use it still seems a bit too weak. Sure, it would be invaluable to snipers but aside from that the reaction fire penalty is HUGE and that accuracy bonus for aimed shots will not balance it. I'm not sure even an all-around acc. bonus would be worth it.

Offline DiDiT

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 06:17:59 pm »
well, remember, these were only ideas.

yeah, the 'not reaction fire' thing. I was thinking, if your wearing these goggles, your vision would be  somewhat impaired, leading to a small chance of being able to SEE, let alone shoot at, anyone moderately close. and, the accuracy bonus to aimed shot's was only an example, I would guess that a aimed shot and higher would massively benefit from the effects. snapshots would still get a bonus, but considerably less then any truly aimed shot, after all, what's the use of a targeting computer if you don't take time to make use of it? then its nothing more but a supped up scope.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 06:23:07 pm »
If possible, I'd like to see that aiming goggles, like any scope, would actually reduce accuracy on close range. Try to look through 10x scope at something 2 meters from you.

Alos, it would make player think and not to just put those on everyone.

Offline DiDiT

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:29:18 pm »
sarin, that's exactly what I mean, I'v just had trouble wording it.

its just an idea, but extra headgear is a must have for this game.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 01:24:19 am »
hmm.. are we playing the 'yes but' game here?