project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Default Interceptor Names and Renaming  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Trifler

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Default Interceptor Names and Renaming
« on: February 19, 2010, 07:01:03 am »
I have the 2.3dev version and I noticed two things:

1) There's already a note in the game indicating that it would be nice to be able to rename the Interceptors when you click on the name.
2) When you build multiple Interceptors, they're all named "I". For example, I have two Stiletto's at my base and they're both named "Stiletto I" rather than Stiletto I and Stiletto II.

I didn't see the ability to rename Interceptors on the TODO list, so I figured I'd post here to voice support for it. I'd like to be able to be able to name them something so I can tell which one has a certain weapon loadout that I'm looking for while trying to intercept a UFO.

As for the default names, most games of this type have automatically incremented the number after the name for each interceptor built of the same class. That's ok, but if you're going to do that, please make it look at the names that exist first, so that if I had five Stilettos, "I" through "V", and "III" gets destroyed, I want it to recognize that there's a "I" and a "II", but not a "III" and name my next Stiletto "III". Otherwise, it would name my next one "VI".

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
Re: Default Interceptor Names and Renaming
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 08:20:54 am »
First, what`s exact build do you play? With last revisions you are able to rename crafts name.

Is there any pencil icon on aircraft menu?

Second, I means I[nterceptor], not number.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 04:17:48 pm »
I agree there should be some kind of (option for?) an automatic numbering system with the aircraft names.

The original X-Com/UFO had this, with "SkyRanger 1," "SkyRanger 2," "SkyRanger 3," etc.

In test games I've run I have ended up manually renaming them with names to tell the difference between them.

We don't have to match the original X-Com/UFO, in fact I think it would be nice to surpass it with several game options for simple numbering, or numbering plus the name of the base they came from, etc.

Side Note:  Would it make sense to also display the pilot's name next to the aircraft name, as an option?  Down the road when pilot skills are added this might be useful.

...And yes, as Kildor mentioned, in more recent revisions the aircraft can be renamed with the small pencil icon, just like bases.

Offline Trifler

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 04:03:53 am »
First, what`s exact build do you play? With last revisions you are able to rename crafts name.

Is there any pencil icon on aircraft menu?

Second, I means I[nterceptor], not number.

On the menu it says I have version "2.3-dev August 27 2009". This is the latest version available for download via the links in the forums. I thought it was up to date but evidently not.

No pencil, just a red square with a tooltip.

Hmm. I would never have guessed that the "I" meant Interceptor. In that case I'd prefer the "I" was just left off, but the numbering scheme I mentioned in my original post would be the nicest.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 10:32:31 am »
And what`s system do you use?
There are some up-to-dated snapshots in the forum, your version is old, really.

Offline Trifler

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 11:26:20 am »
And what`s system do you use?
There are some up-to-dated snapshots in the forum, your version is old, really.

Windows 7 64-bit.

I just downloaded 2.3-dev 28632. Is that newer or is that what I already had? The game menu doesn't list the 5-digit number.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 10:11:48 am »
Yes, it is new enough. Is the problem resolved for you now?

Offline Trifler

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 11:42:17 am »
Yes, it is new enough. Is the problem resolved for you now?

Yeah. I wouldn't call it a "problem" though. I was just voicing support for a change you apparently already had planned, and now I see it's already been done. :) I'm glad I found out I had the wrong version now rather than later though. The new version has a shocking number of terror missions! Whew... going to have to restart on Very Easy. :(

The last paragraph in my original post still applies as a suggestion.