project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: It just won't start - a black screen is what I get  (Read 3462 times)

Offline Mr335

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
It just won't start - a black screen is what I get
« on: January 15, 2010, 12:30:00 pm »
Hi all!

I installed this game yesterday (which I'd love to play again) on an Ubuntu 9.10 machine. I have an nVidia-card, 8600 if I'm not remembering wrong. I've installed it's drivers.

When the game should start - all I get is a black screen and a small orange square which seems to be the mouse ponter. Nothing more....

Anyone got any Ideas?

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
Re: It just won't start - a black screen is what I get
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 02:06:53 pm »
What`s version of game have you tried to install?
Is there any information in gamelog?

Offline Mr335

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 03:38:45 pm »
I installed the game from PlayDeb.net, "Version: 2.2.1-0~getdeb1".
I don't really know how to produce that log-file; I'm quite new to the whole linux/ubuntu-thing. I am making an effort to rid myself of Microsoft, but it would be a nice thing to be able to play this anyway.

Offline Spyro

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 04:07:54 am »
Open up a terminal and then type the following command to see the contents of the game's log
Code: [Select]
gedit ~/.ufoai/*/base/ufoconsole.log
If you want to, you can paste the last 60 or so lines of that file up here and that should provide enough information to figure things out.

Without having seen the log, it sounds as though your nvidia drivers may not actually be functional. Can you play any other 3d games? Try `sudo apt-get install extremetuxracer` (in a terminal, without the quotes) and then see what happens when you run that game.

Also, be prepared for a few of these minor hiccups as you dig deeper into linux. Consider them to be learning experiences and don't get discouraged. It is well worth the effort to learn linux. I have been running a linux desktop since 1996 and along the way I have converted a significant portion ofmy friends & family to it for day to day use. There is a definite learning curve and there are still a few unsmoothed edges but it can be done.

Offline Mr335

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 01:56:53 pm »
Installed it in OpenSuse and it works just fine :-)  Thanks for taking your time to help me though

Offline Spyro

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 06:37:00 pm »
Installed it in OpenSuse and it works just fine :-)  Thanks for taking your time to help me though

Excellent!

If it works in OpenSuse then it was probably Ubuntu's nvidia driver installation package. The automated installer can be extremely problematic at times - it seems to sometimes have a mind of its own.

I have actually been contemplating a switch to a different distro myself.