project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Silly Question: where to save?  (Read 3348 times)

Offline divago

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Silly Question: where to save?
« on: December 02, 2009, 11:16:19 pm »
Hi all
just a silly question: how did i change save directory? (if i could)
'cause i'm playing the game from differents PC, and i installed it into a portable USB
so everytime i change computer i need to copy save file from usbpen to local directory, then copy back to usbpen and sometime i miss something or just does'nt work xD

if i could change directory where to save the game, i could save it on usbpen...

(or:
1) there is a way to make simbolic links in windows?
2) there is a way to create a script to automatically copy the savegame, launch the launcher, then save back the savegame?

ty for help

PS: this game really ROCK!!!! :)

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
Re: Silly Question: where to save?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 04:30:55 am »
Can you provide version of your game?

Offline criusmac

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 05:11:18 am »
Try running the game with +set fs_usehomedir 0 and +set fs_basedir <wherever you want saves to go - portable drive?>, or something like that.

So, it'll look something like:
"C:\Program Files\UFOAI\ufo.exe +set fs_usehomedir 0 +set fs_basedir z:\saves"

Without more information, I can't guarantee it'll work, but it's about 50% likely.

Offline divago

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 01:44:12 pm »
oh yeah, right
my version is 2.2.1 (the latest for windows as for 2 weeks ago)

i'd suppose there is a command line parameter; i'll try it asap and let you know if this work :)

Edit
i tried using this ones (look at the " " and ' ' ):
E:\PortableApps\ufoai\UFOAI-2.2.1\ufo.exe +set fs_homedir 0 +set fs_basedir E:\PortableApps\ufoai\Dati
E:\PortableApps\ufoai\UFOAI-2.2.1\ufo.exe +set fs_homedir 0 +set fs_basedir "E:\PortableApps\ufoai\Dati"
E:\PortableApps\ufoai\UFOAI-2.2.1\ufo.exe "+set fs_homedir 0 +set fs_basedir E:\PortableApps\ufoai\Dati"
"E:\PortableApps\ufoai\UFOAI-2.2.1\ufo.exe +set fs_homedir 0 +set fs_basedir E:\PortableApps\ufoai\Dati"
E:\PortableApps\ufoai\UFOAI-2.2.1\ufo.exe +set fs_homedir 0 +set fs_basedir 'E:\PortableApps\ufoai\Dati'
E:\PortableApps\ufoai\UFOAI-2.2.1\ufo.exe '+set fs_homedir 0 +set fs_basedir E:\PortableApps\ufoai\Dati'
'E:\PortableApps\ufoai\UFOAI-2.2.1\ufo.exe +set fs_homedir 0 +set fs_basedir E:\PortableApps\ufoai\Dati'

and either said me there wrong syntax, or start with a full black and red screen (and then states "not responding")

(in "E:\PortableApps\ufoai\Dati" i got the "save" directory and the "config.cfg" files as well as "history" "stats.log" and "ufoconsole.log"...)

this in Win 7
i go trying win xp asap

Edit ^2
I tried also on win xp. same results
i tried also tweaking a little (changing directory, pointing to the "base" subdirectory, using different spelling, manually modifying config.cfg...

still does not work :(
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 05:32:09 pm by divago »

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 06:48:38 pm »
You dont need to quote thing if there is no space, and you must quote params, and use ", not '

I mean, not:
"E:\PortableApps\ufoai\UFOAI-2.2.1\ufo.exe +set fs_homedir 0 +set fs_basedir E:\PortableApps\ufoai\Dati"

but:
"E:\PortableApps\ufoai\UFOAI-2.2.1\ufo.exe" +set fs_homedir 0 +set fs_basedir "E:\PortableApps\ufoai\Dati"

But i can't help about param syntax i dont know if this command mean something or not.

Offline divago

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:03:36 pm »
You dont need to quote thing if there is no space, and you must quote params, and use ", not '
I mean, not:
but:
"E:\PortableApps\ufoai\UFOAI-2.2.1\ufo.exe" +set fs_homedir 0 +set fs_basedir "E:\PortableApps\ufoai\Dati"
still does'nt work :'(