project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How to shoot an ufo  (Read 2866 times)

Offline strophi

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
How to shoot an ufo
« on: November 18, 2009, 05:55:17 pm »
Hi,

I've just installed UFO:AI and it's very impressing.

I played the original games, and this open source game ist great.

Now to my problem(please don't flame me, I found no answer):

In the old games the first ufos where very weak, and my interceptors shot them, but how to shoot an UFO in UFO:AI. My Interceptors can't reach the ufo, and if, they are atomized.

How can I shot an ufo?

I'm new to this game, I love it, if this question is answered anywhere else, please give a link or shower me with light.

thanx in advance

strophi

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How to shoot an ufo
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 06:29:26 pm »
Welcome to UFO:AI :)

You should start here:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=4100.0

Offline Viento

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 06:31:06 pm »
At the beginning you can only shoot down the smallest type of Ufo, the Scout, without risking your craft. Fighters and Harvesters will just kill either Stiletto or Sarazen most of the time (if they don't just outrun your slow crafts).

You have a chance against Fighters if you send 2 Stilettos/Sarazens with the long range missiles against Figther UFOs. But it is quite risky and if you don't like save&load I would be careful. By the way: It's no use (in terms of winning the game) attacking Fighters as they don't do damage to earth. :)  

The solution is: First do the terror missions. You can capture UFOs there. Build an Ufo Yard early in the game. Disassemble a Fighter or Harvester (Harvester from terror mission ist best) as soon as you can. After disassembly you can research the Alien craft weapon. With this one you can dominate airspace.

Up to then... it's just a bitter lesson in terms of "the aliens are better than we".

Good luck!

Andreas  

Offline strophi

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 07:02:56 pm »
Hi,

first, thanks for your replies.

I will try armor my interceptors the 'right' way to shoot an scout-ufo, and avoid all other ufo types,until research gives me ooprtunities to down the stronger ufos, and concentrate on terror attacks.

thank you very much...

strophi

Offline Halleth

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 10:30:35 am »
I work with 3 Stilettos, each of them with TR-20, 2xShiva, armored, ECM + targeting system. Kills everything except of harvester (normal level). Hangars take 3 tiles. Works perfectly :)