project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: For Compilers - Notifications of Maps to Rebuild  (Read 8337 times)

odie

For Compilers - Notifications of Maps to Rebuild
« on: June 30, 2009, 07:08:22 am »
Hi to Duke and many of the other Mappers / Map developers (whom i respect and wish to acknowledge but do not know),

I realise at this moment, that there is a need to do a "compile_map.bat /clean" for Windows based compilations. This is the same (diff command though) for other platforms.

However, sometimes, when a particular map is changed, there is no need to do so for every map (which easily takes 3-5 hrs), and that particular one is needed only.

Hence, could i propose that whenever possible, a mapper completes / make critical changes (like changing the ramp's gradient) or major stuff to a map, they post a link maybe into this thread and perhaps make this a sticky??

This way, compilers would know that we have to delete the bsp file for that map and recompile (just that map).

Otherwise, if a major thing is done across the map generating engine, then state the need to do a /clean compile_map.

Is this acceptable?? This would really help speed up the compilation across many of the compilers' machines here. (at least it will be for me. :D)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: For Compilers - Notifications of Maps to Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:50:49 am »
i don't know whether this makes sense in the bug fixing stage of the pathfinding.

if a map is changed you have to recompile it anyway - and the script should only compile those that were changed. you could also have a look at dino4ks map-get script. it compares hashsums of ufo2map to decide whether it should recompile maps.

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:12:35 am »
the script should only compile those that were changed.
It does. :)
The only situation where a "/clean" must be performed seems to me, when map-related code is changed (e.g. the pathfinding?) without touching the map itself.

odie

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:13:30 am »
i don't know whether this makes sense in the bug fixing stage of the pathfinding.

if a map is changed you have to recompile it anyway - and the script should only compile those that were changed. you could also have a look at dino4ks map-get script. it compares hashsums of ufo2map to decide whether it should recompile maps.

Hi Mattn,

Thanks for quick reply.

1) I thnk i am a little confusing here. The compile_maps.bat script i realised only seemed to compile newer maps rite?

2) I believed the question i should ask is, when there is a need to recompile (aka /clean parameter) ALL the maps, can this be indicated. This is usually in the case like ufo2map is changed, major behaviour of the maps changed.

Possible? Maybe when such a scenario, and only when it arises, an indication of sorts is well.... announced? :D

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 11:19:28 pm »
Odie,

Your 1) is perfectly described by Borsti above.

The 2) is possible and a good idea imho, not just to trigger you to make a new build, but also for users who compile their own and for the devs who get feedback asap. So I made this post sticky.

My previous fix (R25606 on Aug 9th) was such a fix. It affects certain types of indoor stairways and thus several/many maps, so it justifies a /clean.

My last fix (R25643, 'airwalk') was a ufo.exe-only fix where a /clean does not help in any way.

odie

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 05:47:29 am »
Odie,

Your 1) is perfectly described by Borsti above.

The 2) is possible and a good idea imho, not just to trigger you to make a new build, but also for users who compile their own and for the devs who get feedback asap. So I made this post sticky.

My previous fix (R25606 on Aug 9th) was such a fix. It affects certain types of indoor stairways and thus several/many maps, so it justifies a /clean.

My last fix (R25643, 'airwalk') was a ufo.exe-only fix where a /clean does not help in any way.

Hi Duke,

I took time and caught up with alot of the lost posts since my absence at last. Haha. :D Its good to be back! Though i still await the radiant fix.... i still cant compile my CB> Grrrrrr....

I ma try to get this updated maps soon. grrrr. Lol.

Thanks for accepting the 2nd idea. :D I thnk it helps all the compilers here and fans to better utilise time for maps recompilations. :D

Hi Bortis,

Thanks for the explanations. :D Its very clear. I will just do the compilation script w/o the /clean until there is a post here for the need. :D

Thanks!

Offline Dorzak

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 05:49:23 am »

Out of curiosity, are the maps fetched with the ufoaiscript on Mac before or after the fix.  i.e. the ones downloaded with this command:
contrib/scripts/map-get upgrade

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 12:06:02 am »
@Dorzak:
Sorry, I don't know. (Anyone else ?)

You can test by using farm+ map. If you can walk *all* the stairs in the farmhouse up and down, you have the latest maps.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 06:40:44 pm »
My recent fixes (R26009 and 26035) justify a full mapcompile.
I had to disable 'bidirectional tracing', so compile_maps will take a little longer.

But hey, those were the last two bugs in the routing/pathfinding code that I know of :)

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 10:26:26 pm »
It's time to clean and recompile again.
R26429 fixes the actorclip problems :)

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 09:11:54 pm »
In a joint effort of half a dozen devs, we now also fixed wrong actor- and weaponclip related data in the .map files :)

Over 100 maps were affected. So it's time to get R26618 or higher and recompile again.
If you want to speed up map compilation, you may want to read this http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=4136.0 first.

Everyone who ever reported or saw a bug that could remotely be associated with those clips or pathfinding is now encouraged to retest (and report if it's gone or not, of course).

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 06:42:55 pm »
R26658 fixes some 'weird pathfing around func_breakable' bugs.
This is a ufo.exe-only fix, NO need to recompile the maps.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 09:30:59 pm »
R26813 fixes a very special and probably rare pathfinding bug I encountered on village.map ( 0.0000038 mapunits can make quite a difference).

- For players it's probably enough to recompile +village and village.
- Mappers should of course recompile before trying to fix a stairway in radiant ;)
- Before reporting a pathfinding bug, a recompile is required.

If your machine is fast enough, do a full recompile just to be sure...

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 07:53:55 am »
There was a fix near r27050 for func_doors (misaligned textures, wrong rendering, and so on), so all maps with that doors should be recompiled.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 08:18:08 pm »
Due to the implementation of a (very technical) feature called 'lightclips', ALL maps have to be recompiled in order to be used with r27238 or higher.