project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Personalizing the game  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Detrius

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Personalizing the game
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:44:21 am »
Hey guys, thanks for developing the X-COM concept! The summer the first X-COM was launched I spent the summer in my garden with my 386 'puter, Licking sun and aliens alike ;)
I was very excited to find this project, and am enjoing the game tremendously.
I do understand and accept the fact that some of the features from X-COM are left out such as combat saves. I have to accept it, I dont have to like it ;)

I've tried to search the forum, but have found no threads on this topic...wich is a bit odd and probably just mean I am poor or lazy at searching.

How about the player participating more in character development? Getting attached to your soldiers is a key feature in my personal experience.
I am thinking about voice-acting "Take that you alien scum", some backgound, and off course some choises for the player when leveling up the character?

And at least here I could contribute :) I dont know a thing about C++, but I can both write and participate in voice-acting.
Wadda you think?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Personalizing the game
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 11:15:20 pm »
voice acting is no option for now - as we would need the voices in all the languages we support. and that's a) hard to maintain and b) almost impossible to get them in the same quality and with the same parameters for all languages.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Personalizing the game
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 11:41:35 pm »
Mattn is right - We actually attempted to build a collection of voice samples at one point in just a few languages and accents, and it didn't get very far.  That attempt was over a year ago but it would be even more difficult now, as we've added more languages since then.  Probably the only voice samples we could really use would be grunts, screams of pain, and death screams - without words - as those would fit in regardless of what language the game is played in.

We could certainly use contributions in other areas, though, even if you can't code.  (Artwork and especially map-making with the custom editor, which doesn't require any programming skill to use.)  If you haven't already, I'd suggest getting on the IRC channel.

We also have a TODO in the wiki that details what we need for the next and future version(s).