project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Simple Gun Model  (Read 4344 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Simple Gun Model
« on: October 06, 2009, 11:23:15 am »
I modeled a dirt-cheap simple pistol, just to see if I could do it.  I'm really not an expert on firearms, though.  I did however figure out how to depict muzzle flash in an animation.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Gun Model
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 02:16:03 pm »
If I am allowed to comment that pistol:
The frame and slide (everything else than grip/handle) usually extend a little bit behind the grip (or there is another part to keep the hand away from the slide, like in M1911) and their end tends to be somewhat tilted. See this for an example.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:04:21 pm »
If I am allowed to comment that pistol:
The frame and slide (everything else than grip/handle) usually extend a little bit behind the grip (or there is another part to keep the hand away from the slide, like in M1911) and their end tends to be somewhat tilted. See this for an example.

Ah, Thank you - that helps.  I really don't know much about handguns or how they work.  I happen to live in a country (United States of America) where service in the military is not usually mandatory, and although by headcount there are several guns for every citizen - with the so-called "right to bear arms" (which is actually a blatant misinterpretation of our constitution, that's a whole other story) - almost all of those collections and piles of guns are kept by a minority of the population who are really into guns.  I happen to be a member of the majority of the population that does not own any firearms at all.  As a result of these factors, I don't know much at all about how they are constructed, how they work, what the parts are called, etc.

I looked at the picture and the articles that link to it, what would really help me is some simple animation or diagram that shows what those basic parts are and how they move (and in what direction) when the gun is fired.  If I had some information that describes these things it would make modeling and animating the gun much easier and having it look realistic.

Edit: After a little searching, I found this, which really helps:

http://www.genitron.com/Basics/Glock23/P2Glock.html

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:19:33 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 05:05:38 pm »
OK, from looking at pictures and staring at diagrams, this is what I've evolved it into, at least so far.

Side note:  Now that I think about it, if this eventually comes out somewhat nice, would it be good for multiplayer or an alternate campaign?  I'm well aware that the standard single-player campaign doesn't need a new pistol.  That and I admit I started it mostly just for practice, to see if I could do it.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 06:18:56 pm »
This might be better, at this point there isn't much more I can do to it without knowing how real guns are designed.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 07:36:39 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 08:16:57 pm »
can't you import the existing weapons for cutscenes? why did you create a new one?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 08:40:32 pm »
can't you import the existing weapons for cutscenes? why did you create a new one?

As I said at the start of this thread, I put this gun model together pretty much as a side project, for developing my own skills as I've never modeled a weapon before, and I wanted a little feedback on how it came out.  I didn't intend to replace anything in the game with it.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear earlier in this thread.

Regarding cutscenes for the game, a different topic, yes, the existing models import just fine, and in fact in this attached AVI (inside the .zip file), you can see a quick demo of the soldier firing the game's assault rifle, complete with muzzle flash and such.

Once Migel finishes at least one texture, then we can start talking about what kinds of cutscenes will be in the game and how they should look.  (I think he's close to finished with the first one.)