project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Skeletal Animation Practice  (Read 11686 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Skeletal Animation Practice
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 05:05:29 am »
I've almost got the skeleton fully attached to the in-game model, as soon as I finish it I'll hand the files over to you, vedrit.  These examples were done with a separate model built differently and not meant for the actual game, just practice.

The attached .zip is the last practice example I'm doing for now, another Xvid AVI, I admit it looks quite clunky but I'm still a bit proud of it as its a first for me.

I've also got two screenshots (attached) of the working in-game model, that doesn't have fingers, the top half is just about done but the left leg still needs to be attached (it shouldn't take long, given that I've almost got the right leg, and if I use the right as a guide for the left, the whole model is symmetrical, after all...)

Side note:  The test pose for the in-game model might ring a bell or two for those of you who saw the old "Karate Kid" movie...   ;)

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 05:50:15 am »
OK, I've finished attaching the skeleton.  As far as test poses go, it handles everything that I throw at it OK.  Later on the head mesh will be replaced by a TAG, and TAGs will also eventually be added to the hands.

It should also be a simple matter to later add Migel's texture.

Here it is:

http://www.destructavator.com/92dl/Soldier_Armor_v6_25.zip

Edit:  Whoops!  Hold on - It seems I have just one single vertex that isn't attached to anything - I'll fix it...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:03:46 am by Destructavator »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 06:18:32 am »

Offline Migel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 07:46:30 pm »
I'm defiantly not an animator, but I play a bit with animation and read few things about it... so just want to share some knowledge. MD2 animation need some skills because it don't have smooth transition between frames (actually it is q2 engine, that don't support smooth transition, but I hear from Kildor that UFO AI engine can read MD3 so maybe this problem solved already  ???). Meaning
1 - First and last frame of any move must be the same as the base stance. For example walking anim must begin from standing frame and return to it in the end.
2 - You must make many many frames. Calculation is simple - (frames of anim)/(time of anim in game)=fps. fps must be more than 25, or model will be twitching.
3 - That's the theory =) Someone fix me if I'm wrong...

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 07:56:05 pm »
you are not ;)

ufoai has the same requirements here

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 07:56:32 pm »
I'm defiantly not an animator, but I play a bit with animation and read few things about it... so just want to share some knowledge. MD2 animation need some skills because it don't have smooth transition between frames (actually it is q2 engine, that don't support smooth transition, but I hear from Kildor that UFO AI engine can read MD3 so maybe this problem solved already  ???). Meaning
1 - First and last frame of any move must be the same as the base stance. For example walking anim must begin from standing frame and return to it in the end.
2 - You must make many many frames. Calculation is simple - (frames of anim)/(time of anim in game)=fps. fps must be more than 25, or model will be twitching.
3 - That's the theory =) Someone fix me if I'm wrong...

Blender makes this easy, I just define and pose "key" frames, and it will automatically create the in-between postures - Using Blender I do not have to pose every single individual frame, regardless of if the model is exported to MD2 or any other format, or rendered with Blender's own internal renderer.

Also, I already make it a habit to make animations at 30 FPS.  In the United States (where I live) that is the standard for digital works (although TV and DVD can be 29.97, NTSC format.)

I do quite a bit of digital video editing, so I know some things about frame rates and formats.

@Mattn: Is there a standard frame rate for the in-game models?  Is 30 FPS OK or should I use something else?

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 09:21:42 pm »
linear interpolation of vertex is very simple, and i think the code use it already.

Anyway i dont think it is a Blender problem, because thats the model exporter job. You should to the keyframing like you want, and exporter should cut it like it is need.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 09:31:59 pm »
yes - we are lerping the vertices from one to another frame - but if the end frame of a animation doesn't match the start frame of the animation it will jump and look ugly.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 08:29:29 pm »
I am not sure i understand but,

Skeleton and skeleton key framing is only for the source document (designer). The game engine (exported document) will only use vertex key framing.