project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: [Suggestion] More weapons, items and so on  (Read 3716 times)

Offline otreblA_SNAKE_[ITA]

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] More weapons, items and so on
« on: September 26, 2009, 11:35:42 pm »
Hi there guys,
Excellent job, this game will become an excellent one soon I guess. However I noticed there aren't a lot of weapons, items exc. My suggestion is to make much more weapons (assault rifle, rifles, pistols and so on), items (generally speaking) and armors&helmets.

Talking about weapons, I think you can introduce modern firearms like Ak47, M4, M16 and much more, and more alien weapons too like more alien laser rifle, alien laser pistols exc.
I noticed there aren't a lot of armors and helmets too. This is a pity: imagine your soldiers wearing "high tech" armors & helmet, cool uniforms (and above all, useful) and so on... ;)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] More weapons, items and so on
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 11:50:58 pm »
Human weapon arsenal is quite full, sorry. You can make them as a Mod through.
Some (1-2) armours are planned.

-geever

Offline SonofAres800

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 06:26:52 am »
Talking about weapons, I think you can introduce modern firearms like Ak47, M4, M16 and much more, and more alien weapons too like more alien laser rifle, alien laser pistols exc.

I think adding these is a bad idea, its 2084 and you think that the AK-47 and M16 would still be operating? No offence but this is a seriously bad idea.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 09:37:54 am »
Technically, they are still operating, the Africa backstory mentions old USA relics or even Soviet antiques as their weaponry, but they are way too old for PHALANX. Most likely a new gunpowder or something would be invented during these years and this way new weapons would surpass the antique weaponry greatly in performance.
Aliens do not use laser weaponry. It's a human thing. And when they have particle beams, laser would be a huge downgrade.

otreblA_SNAKE_[ITA] have you checked the wiki? Most of this stuff is there.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 11:07:08 am »
Many of the rifles used by American spec-ops forces today are direct descendants of rifles used in Vietnam (M-14, carbines like M4s), so it's not so clear that in another 70 years things will be completely different. It might be worth looking at trends today to see what could be extrapolated for future development. For instance, customizability is key to the new SCAR system, with interchangeable barrels and chambering to work in different circumstances. This kind of system might provide more flexibility in tactical planning for the early game, without requiring a whole lot of different models to be made.

Offline SonofAres800

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 12:15:55 pm »
Many of the rifles used by American spec-ops forces today are direct descendants of rifles used in Vietnam (M-14, carbines like M4s), so it's not so clear that in another 70 years things will be completely different. It might be worth looking at trends today to see what could be extrapolated for future development. For instance, customizability is key to the new SCAR system, with interchangeable barrels and chambering to work in different circumstances. This kind of system might provide more flexibility in tactical planning for the early game, without requiring a whole lot of different models to be made.

That is true, i have heard of like 5 different variants of the M16 (M16a etc.)

Technically, they are still operating, the Africa backstory mentions old USA relics or even Soviet antiques as their weaponry, but they are way too old for PHALANX. Most likely a new gunpowder or something would be invented during these years and this way new weapons would surpass the antique weaponry greatly in performance.

Good point.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 05:32:39 pm »

BTAxis and I had some discussions about this sort of feature a while ago. The thing is, some players want that kind of customisability in the weapons, and others don't. The coding work involved in making it happen is also a concern. If you want to make a mod or add-on featuring SCAR-like interchanging barrels and such then please go ahead, I'd love to see the results, but we would like to keep the standard game as universally appealing as possible.

Regards,
Winter