project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Resources for learning C or C++  (Read 4971 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Resources for learning C or C++
« on: August 09, 2009, 07:23:58 am »
I thought I'd put this thread in here for potential coders who want to know where they could learn programming.

I asked about such resources a long time ago in this forum, an older member named Punkiee replied and here is part of one post from that conversation:

This game is written in C which was the base language for C++. C++ is a superset (loosely defined) with a few more language features. The languages themselves are small and almost every functionality is defined in the libraries. Every book happily covers libraries as well.

Most people would be happy using C++ but C is still used a lot in old legacy projects and for everything which grinds closer to the hardware then to user. C++ is C, but then more versatile, easier, more powerful ,... Since everyone who knows C++ also knows C, you will learn C++ i assume. Nevertheless as C++ programmer you might cry when faced with a C-only situation Smiley

The 2 most important categories for C++ basic are learning books and reference books. Reference books are not intended to teach you from scratch. Buy these if your learning books dont have the depth anymore you require.

Good learning books:
*Teach Yourself C++ In 21 Days, Second Edition
Jesse Liberty
Sams Publishing 1997
Softcover ISBN 0672310708
*C++ Primer Plus (5th Edition)
Stephen Prata
*C++ How to Program
 H. M. Deitel & P. J. Deitel:
Prentice-Hall

Good reference books: the 2 bibles
*C Programming Language
Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie
Prentice Hall
*The C++ Programming Language
Bjarne Stroustrup
Addison-Wesley 1997
Softcover ISBN 0201889544

I've also found on my own that typing "C" or "C++" into search engines followed by commands or phrases such as "how to (whatever)" often gets numerous results.

If anyone wants to add to this list, go ahead.

BTW, just FYI please don't ask programming questions in the CodeBlocks website forum, they hate that there and only want questions about CodeBlocks itself in their own forum.

Edit: I actually have one of the books above now, the one by Prata, it is a *very* good book and actually describes both languages.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 07:25:42 am by Destructavator »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Resources for learning C or C++
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 07:50:37 am »
Here's another place on the net that's looks good, although I admit I just started looking at it.  It explains some basic concepts of programming geared toward games, such as - for example - why many programs have source code split into multiple files instead of one big one, etc.

http://www.gamedev.net/

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 09:41:50 am »
some useful links in our wiki: http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Coding

Offline criusmac

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 08:01:11 am »
My favourite books for learning C and C++ were the dummies books.

C for Dummies
C++ for dummies

They are really great books that are easy to read and understand. I've noticed a lot of job interview questions seem to be answerable by the various explanations and examples in these books.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 07:22:54 am »
My favourite books for learning C and C++ were the dummies books.

C for Dummies
C++ for dummies

They are really great books that are easy to read and understand. I've noticed a lot of job interview questions seem to be answerable by the various explanations and examples in these books.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the "for dummies" series of books, with only a few exceptions they really are very good books, from how to program a web page to playing a guitar, etc...