project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Potential "Light Armor" model, WIP  (Read 4281 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Potential "Light Armor" model, WIP
« on: October 01, 2009, 08:34:14 am »
Yes, I know we also need female models for the un-armored model, but I've been itching to work on a Light or standard armor model for the soldiers, and wanted to get something together while the idea was still somewhat fresh in my head.

This is what I have so far, just the body - Later on I can work on a new armored head with a helmet.

The texture skin is of course temporary, especially the "placeholder" texture for the armor pieces.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: Potential "Light Armor" model, WIP
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 11:04:10 am »
Why does the actual armour part appear to leave much of the shoulders uncovered? Leaving aside the issue of protection, how would you wear the (relatively) heavy vest without anything going over your shoulders?

If you can make it look good, it should have kneepads of some description. The knees are a vulnerable area that should be protected, especially in a job where you normally spend a lot of time landing on them to cower behind cover.  :P

Regards,
Winter

Offline Migel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 01:17:08 pm »
IMHO the design of old light armour is fine. I think the best way is to remake it - stout jacket with many pockets and kneepads is fine and looking like a SWAT uniform you always talking... And this armor patches you can leave for adv. light armour or for med. armour.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 10:42:54 pm »
Well, here's another try at it - Even if this won't do as "light armor" then perhaps it could be made out to be one of the other types, after a permanent texture is applied.

I added more protection at the top and also increased the shoulder coverage, covered the knees, and have it on the back of the hands of the gloves as well.  It doesn't have huge plates that shield everything, but on the other hand I don't think it would impact mobility too much the way it is now.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:44:43 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 12:51:47 pm »
I added more protection at the top and also increased the shoulder coverage, covered the knees, and have it on the back of the hands of the gloves as well.  It doesn't have huge plates that shield everything, but on the other hand I don't think it would impact mobility too much the way it is now.

Better. Still needs protection at the crotch, though, that's a vulnerable area which causes debilitating injuries when hit. It'd be silly to leave it uncovered.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 09:05:55 pm »
Here it is with a little more work, I also added protection on the fore-arms.  Again, the texture is temporary.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 09:34:36 pm »
Nice work, mate, it's now looking like something genuinely practical. I'm happy with the shape and layout.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 11:40:18 pm »
http://www.destructavator.com/92dl/SoldierM_Armor.7z

OK, here are the source files ready to be given a more permanent texture.

I included two baked sample textures, one with black armor and one with white, the one with white is for contrast so it is easier to tell which UV sections of the texture map are for armor and not for the black leather/material on the gloves, belt, etc.  (In the black version it might be hard to tell the difference, although I did group them in the texture map so all the camo is together, all the armor parts are together, etc.)

Also, in this one the bottom boot tread came out a bit miffed, but since it will likely be painted over anyways it shouldn't be a problem.

@Migel: Please take your time with these and don't feel rushed, IMO I think waiting longer for a well-done product is better in the end.

Edit: Almost forgot: The same GPL license used before is fine for this one as well.