project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Hello, Id like to try my hand at skinning some models?  (Read 3476 times)

FacelessDevil

Hello, Id like to try my hand at skinning some models?
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:10:53 am »
hello there,

i just got this mod yesterday and its pretty nice to sit down with. i usually play quake2 which is an extremely fast paced and mentally taxing experience. i like this game's chess board less stressful way of playing... its a nice change of pace.

anyway ive been skinning player models and doing artwork for a decade. i dont have many examples because my computer was destroyed and planetquake's polycount.com is probably never coming back up.

i have many many examples of my artwork at www.myspace.com/weezuschrist under the paintings and digital art folders.

id like to skin a soldier or two and a couple aliens and monsters.

i dont think my art direction would fit well with the mod for everything, but i think i can manage to stay with the design and still do something unique enough to stand out and look nice.

just post a few skins up here and ill be glad to edit them and repost them back here... i dont really want the whole dev kit at the moment.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, Id like to try my hand at skinning some models?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 02:42:15 am »
Hi, welcome,

If you want to contribute artwork and such to this project, you would want to get in contact with forum member Winter, who is in charge of approving that type of stuff.

Second, when you say "mod" I'm not sure what you're talking about - if you're referring to this project, UFO: Alien Invasion is not a "mod" of anything - It is an entirely independent game, simply using a modified version of the quake 2 graphics engine (but not based upon the quake games) and inspired by the old XCOM/UFO games.  (Also used is SDL and other libraries, one of the coders could explain it much better...)

We welcome anyone who wants to contribute and further develop this project, although since you're new I'd suggest glancing at the wiki to get familiar with it.

Edit:  Also listed in the wiki are TODO lists that detail much of where we are before the next release and what we need done to get there.

Given that you've had quite a bit of experience doing skins, as you said, we could certainly use your skills here.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 02:50:29 am by Destructavator »

FacelessDevil

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 03:30:50 am »

ahh yeah its not a mod hahah sorry everything ive done was for mods not ground up games.

cool im gonna read the wiki... thanks for the info.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 03:37:23 am »
Thanks again for offering to help.

Just FYI - If you tried out the older 2.2.1 version, it's a bit old, out-of-date, and the development 2.3 version (which isn't finished yet) has a lot of new and different features.  You can try a test beta build of 2.3 now by looking for a binary installer, one of Odie's builds if you're running Windows, or if you have a Mac you can look for a download link in the Mac forum section instead.

If you have Linux, the wiki details how to grab a SVN copy and compile the game, which isn't too hard (on Linux).

FacelessDevil

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 05:38:08 pm »
i see the winter guy is on the board right now, could you direct him to this topic?

heres a piece of digital art i did like ten years ago.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 10:06:11 pm »
You don't really need our permission to start work, and I'm not the guy to tell you how to navigate SVN to get to the files you want to do. Can someone else please lend a hand?

What we could really use a texture for is the Breeder biomechanical alien, and (if I recall correctly) some armoured versions of the aliens, particularly the Shevaar.

Regards,
Winter

odie

Regarding Models on Hand
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 04:45:37 am »
Hi FacelessDevil,

I am definately not the best person for the job. But for a start, i do believe that the current models are udner the SVN Trunk of UFOAI, somewhere under: /base/models/aliens

For getting the source, check this out:
Getting the Source Wiki

U might want to be like some of us, getting the source using TSVN.

If u r just getting the models, i believe the /base/models/aliens contains em. :D

Probably a specific artist can let him / her know how to get just specifics files, as i am used to dowdloading whole trunks.