project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Dropship cargo bay  (Read 6575 times)

Titan

Dropship cargo bay
« on: June 28, 2009, 08:49:12 pm »
Something that I think would be helpful: Instead of simply saying you can load a UGV, you could make it so there a large compartment. When in the equip soldiers screen, you can place equipment (including UGVs) inside the compartment. This would probably work best as simply a list of items, with their quantity listed next to them. When in mission you could walk you soldier up to it, and do... something. This opens up the soldiers inventory window, but with a list of whats in the compartment attached to the side. You could drag out things from the soldiers inventory and let go over the list, putting them in. You can then click something in the compartment, drag it (thus making the little image pop up) and put it in the soldiers inventory. Once you're done, I checks to make sure that you haven't overfilled the compartment, and you're free to go.

This might sound pointless, but it would be a big help in countering specific enemies.

odie

Re: Dropship cargo bay
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 09:47:52 pm »
Something that I think would be helpful: Instead of simply saying you can load a UGV, you could make it so there a large compartment. When in the equip soldiers screen, you can place equipment (including UGVs) inside the compartment. This would probably work best as simply a list of items, with their quantity listed next to them. When in mission you could walk you soldier up to it, and do... something. This opens up the soldiers inventory window, but with a list of whats in the compartment attached to the side. You could drag out things from the soldiers inventory and let go over the list, putting them in. You can then click something in the compartment, drag it (thus making the little image pop up) and put it in the soldiers inventory. Once you're done, I checks to make sure that you haven't overfilled the compartment, and you're free to go.

This might sound pointless, but it would be a big help in countering specific enemies.

First of, UGV are very much not in the making / priorities' list now.

But when it does, i believe it will take up space just like soldiers (just that it will occupy more than just 1 space).

If u r coming from XCOM fan-base, u might probably think of this- 1 UGV takes up some 4 soldier's space..... maybe in UFOAI, it will be changed - i dunno.

Then again, we can also rationalize that UGV can be carried as 'drops' where the dropship can 'drop' it before landing - I remember singapore has developed artillery and assault-light-vehicles which can be dropped from the super-puma (a heavyweight twin rotating blade helicopter).

Maybe we can consider this for UFOAI. Well, its all up to the dev team. :D

Titan

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 01:45:19 am »
Heh. I'm only 13. Though I've looked it up, I'd love to get my hands on it. Old games are great.

odie

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 07:33:11 am »
Heh. I'm only 13. Though I've looked it up, I'd love to get my hands on it. Old games are great.

Well, if u love to get it, i know of some sites selling it for 5USD.

Else u can be just like me, support it by actually buying a box set (i got it for abt 20 Singapore dollars or abt 12-13 USD back in those days. :D) Well, its worth more than every cent i put in and still gaining em back! Lol.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 09:49:50 am »
In all technicality, your being ripped off. Even if the developers have been baught out, the products are long un-supported. The owning company receives nothing. Such games are classified as "abandonware", and are free. No one is loosing any money.

odie

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 01:29:42 pm »
In all technicality, your being ripped off. Even if the developers have been baught out, the products are long un-supported. The owning company receives nothing. Such games are classified as "abandonware", and are free. No one is loosing any money.

Well, realised that this is a bit off topic. :P But here's something to clarify......

In case i was not clear in stating when i got it (XCOM1) - i got it the year it was released - 1993 (years ago).

It is almost-abandonware, but NOT freeware / free technically and legally. They can be abandonware ONLY when no one is selling it. The fact that SOMEONE is selling it, makes it non-abandonware, hence i will not be releasing any links. Yupz.

For those who wans my quote for history:
The company Micropose who produces it co-jointly with Mythos Games is still alive - technically its intellectual properties rights is transferred to Hasbro Interactive. Subsequently, Hasbro Interactive was sold to Infogrames Entertainment SA due to financial problems. Not to long later, Infogrames Entertainment SA was renamed to the today's quite famous Atari. As of from 2005, Xcom was subsequently again transferred to Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc who holds the property rights to today.

It is long un-supported, yes agreed. The owning company receives nothing, that i do not know (as stated in previous point - it is still alive and 'belongs' to Take-Two), since i do not understand the current online sellers' agreement with the original XCOM company. Yupz.

Btw, no one is losing any money? I beg to differ, since there is (or rather are since more than 1) someone selling, they can technically sue for damages / loss. Yupz.

Hence, the moment someone is known to sell something like this, the abandonware site 'releasing it' will immediately take off the link and declare it non-abandonware and link to the site selling it. (as in this case for X-Com1)

Welcome to the world of tricky abandonware. :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 01:39:15 pm by odie »

Titan

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 06:06:57 pm »
'swy I don't download a game unless it's open source or undoubtedly freeware.

odie

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 06:37:39 pm »

Dun worry. I am mostly getting open source, freeware or abandonwares nowadays. If not, i be buying the boxed versions :P

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 06:55:33 pm »

Dun worry. I am mostly getting open source, freeware or abandonwares nowadays. If not, i be buying the boxed versions :P

I'm like that too, also with music as well - I actually buy legit CDs of music and software of everything I have and use - so you two aren't alone.  I know perfectly well how to steal things with file-sharing, I've seen others do it, but I refuse to do so myself, that's just the way I am.  One benefit I enjoy from such practice is the fact that I don't typically have tons of trojans and other nasties floating around on my hard drives - I've actually seen some file-sharing freaks who always have some type of infection on their machine, and they hardly care!

Regarding the original topic, it would be a bit nice if the aircraft used to transport soldiers had a storage area, so soldiers could run back and re-equip if they had to, get more ammo, pull out medical equipment etc.

Perhaps the equip screen for soldiers, when preparing an aircraft before sending it to a site, could have an additional global set of "inventory" squares much like the ones the soldiers have for different areas (holster, backpack, etc) that could be for the aircraft itself.

odie

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 07:39:24 pm »
I'm like that too, also with music as well - I actually buy legit CDs of music and software of everything I have and use - so you two aren't alone.  I know perfectly well how to steal things with file-sharing, I've seen others do it, but I refuse to do so myself, that's just the way I am.  One benefit I enjoy from such practice is the fact that I don't typically have tons of trojans and other nasties floating around on my hard drives - I've actually seen some file-sharing freaks who always have some type of infection on their machine, and they hardly care!

Regarding the original topic, it would be a bit nice if the aircraft used to transport soldiers had a storage area, so soldiers could run back and re-equip if they had to, get more ammo, pull out medical equipment etc.

Perhaps the equip screen for soldiers, when preparing an aircraft before sending it to a site, could have an additional global set of "inventory" squares much like the ones the soldiers have for different areas (holster, backpack, etc) that could be for the aircraft itself.

Actually, from a couple of other xcom-like clones, plus alot of common logic, i see most transporter crafts have 2 types of capacity:

1) Soldiers' capacity.
2) Equipment's capacity.

Let me elaborate slightly.

Eg our Dropshit (ops, Dropship). It can carry maybe up to 12 soldiers (for now onli 8 max?). Then can carry a capacity of up to 100KG (so u can mix and match, much like a mini-warehouse).

This way, u can even load em up, and send em on multiple missions (reloading in air). :D

Simple explanation for now. How's the idea?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 08:18:57 pm »

That is the plan AFAIK.

U will be able to change your soldiers' equipment right before the mission from the aircraft's storage.

(not in 2.3 ofc.)
-geever

odie

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 06:04:23 am »
That is the plan AFAIK.

U will be able to change your soldiers' equipment right before the mission from the aircraft's storage.

(not in 2.3 ofc.)
-geever

Ooooo, that would be cool and definately logical! :D

I will look forward to tat in (2.4?) later versions. :D

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 02:45:38 pm »
Ooooo, that would be cool and definately logical! :D

I will look forward to tat in (2.4?) later versions. :D

as long as that isn't the only time you can assign equipment. i'm wure i'm not the only one that got annoyed with having to take out the default weapon load from every single soldier to then requip them with the equipment i wanted them armed with

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 02:58:39 pm »
as long as that isn't the only time you can assign equipment. i'm wure i'm not the only one that got annoyed with having to take out the default weapon load from every single soldier to then requip them with the equipment i wanted them armed with

Hmm? Why would we downgrade the equipment handling?

-geever

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 03:21:50 pm »
Hmm? Why would we downgrade the equipment handling?

-geever

exactly my point