project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Growl (mac notification app)  (Read 2299 times)

andkrup

Growl (mac notification app)
« on: June 26, 2009, 10:15:03 am »
Hi

The current mac build is windowed which (to me) is cool when you really want to play the single-player campaigns, but also needs to get some work done.

Would it be possible to support growl-notifications on important events?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Growl (mac notification app)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 01:58:17 pm »
The current mac build is windowed which (to me) is cool when you really want to play the single-player campaigns, but also needs to get some work done.

Would it be possible to support growl-notifications on important events?

What would it be good for? If nothing happens you can speed up the time in the game. The game can stop the time on important events. Also putting in some Mac specific thing into a cross-platform game...

-geever

andkrup

Re: Growl (mac notification app)
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 01:25:17 pm »
I guess you're right about the idea being mac-centric - the cross-platform option would be to implement generic API event-hooks for everybody to exploit.

I guess we all play the game a little different. On my old IBM I used a lot of time fast-forwarding to the next event as you suggest. No down-time going from battle-scape to battle-scape.

Sometimes with dos-box I usually had the original game running next to, say, word processors, excel-sheets, eclipse, mail-clients and a couple of webbrowsers. I used the time between UFO-events to get things done.

You could argue that the reason for keeping the time adjustable in the game is to let people do just that kind of multi-tasking; If everybody should play the game by fastforwarding to the next event, why not just remove the clock and install a 'Next Event' button?

Thx for listening :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:27:55 pm by andkrup »