project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: RoQ videos now made easily - preset files attached  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
RoQ videos now made easily - preset files attached
« on: June 08, 2009, 05:35:07 am »
http://winff.org/html/

WinFF is a friendly Windows/Linux GUI for FFMPEG, a nearly universal video conversion tool.  With the older versions, back when I started to make RoQ videos, things were messy and quite a headache to get a proper video that would play in the game.  Now with the latest version of WinFF and the updated FFMPEG included on their download page, it's much easier to accomplish, and the input video file can be almost any format, unlike the old method using Switchblade that I struggled to learn and eventually put in the wiki.

Included here is a .zip with three presets for RoQ videos.  After installing WinFF just double click the preset file inside the .zip and a new category appears in the GUI for RoQ, with three size options.   The largest, 512x512, would probably be good for full-screen cinematic cut-scenes.

For those who have the time and are willing to do a little testing, please test these presets on your machines, then drop the RoQ files into base/videos/ in your UFO AI folder if you happen to have a 2.3 development version.  You can then test the videos by bringing up the console and using the "cinematic" command.

Most videos made by these presets work OK on my computer - I'm curious to see if they work for everyone else.

For Mac users:  You might be out-of-luck (Sorry!) unless you can find an easy way to run FFMPEG or something similar on a Mac.

Edit:  Encoding RoQ videos takes time and is a bit slow, if you're impatient you can use a preset for a smaller size, 256x256 or 128x128 to speed things up at the cost of resolution and clarity in the created video.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 01:51:29 pm by bayo »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: RoQ videos now made easily - preset files attached
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:15:21 am »
seams like the version i'm using is too old - i will try to compile it myself once i'm back from work. you should send the roq presets as patches to the author.