project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Suppression fire Mode for the Machine Gun  (Read 2225 times)

Offline slothlord

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Suppression fire Mode for the Machine Gun
« on: June 03, 2009, 12:05:14 pm »
I'm not sure if alien morale has been implemented or not, but a suppression fire mode (10-20 round usage) on the machine gun would be nice.  It wouldn't need to have a lot of accuracy or health damage, just morale damage.  Or maybe it would alter alien AI to move less if they have been shot at.  One of the main points of having a machine gun is lay down bursts of suppressive fire to keep (smart) enemy soldiers from charging your position.  Right now the machine gun is just a really big assault rifle.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Suppression fire Mode for the Machine Gun
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 12:26:27 pm »
We've had a discussion about suppression fire in the past. I believe it's a concept that translates very poorly to a turn based game like this. The point of suppression fire is not that it hits the enemy, but rather that it hits close to the enemy, preventing them from moving and staying behind cover. Because in a TBS game there is no simultaneous movement, shooting next to an enemy actor is fairly useless since it won't move anyway, and similarly on the next turn when they DO move, your own troops remain where they are. Plus, it's not trivial to decide what constitutes suppression fire and on whom in terms of the game mechanics.

As for implementing fire that affects morale or TUs on hit, I don't think anyone would use it. If you can hit them, might as well kill them.

Offline slothlord

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 08:45:34 am »
I suppose that's true.  I guess it's just i wish I could get more out of the machine gun.  Maybe a tripod setup mode for better accuracy?

odie

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 07:10:18 am »
I believe that (tripod setup) would simply translate to Aimed mode on the game. Whilst 'suppress fire' would translate to wide burst..... :D