project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Tactics questions & kudos  (Read 3995 times)

Mr. Samsa

Tactics questions & kudos
« on: August 08, 2009, 09:41:37 am »
I love this kind of game and teh ppl who make this. I have managed to squander much time 4 this. I love to read all the documentation, descriptions and whatnot. The layout and style of read makes me feel like im a real live commander  ;D

When I build bases I tend to specialize them for specific tasks. A research base, manufacturing Base, combat operations base and so on. Im 1 month and 3 days into the game (2.2.1) and have 4 bases built, 1 manufacturing, 2 combat and the starter base which i reconfigured into a giant laboratory with hangars & radar for combat ops. (love the bases room art).

the loadouts of my current bases. All bases are powered and have command stations of course.

Starter Base: 4 labs - 2 large hangars - 2 small hangars - 2 living quarters - 1 storage - radar - alien containment - hospital - team room.

Combat Operations bases: 1 large hangar - 2 small hangars - 1 living quarter - 1 storage - radar - alien containment - hospital - team room.

Manufacturing Base: 4 workshops - 3 large ufo hangars - 3 small ufo hangars - 2 living quarters - 2 storage.

I have read on the forum somewhere that base specializing isnt such a good idea and specifically that my manufacturing base wont be able to properly dismantle Ufos without a laboratory. I have not had any setbacks from this configuration but like I said, im only 1 month and 3 days into my game. I am hoping to avoid any future base-building headaches. ::)

Some other things I am wondering as well.

1. If I build 2 bases close together, will the radar coverage areas that cross into each other have a higher probability of detection? 2 radars in 1 base help?

2. If I shoot down a UFO with light weapons instead of missles will the UFO be recoverable?

3. Do soldiers gain anything from auto-missions? I read that their rank will go up but not stats.

4. Are there implants?

5. Why do laser weapons and especially the rocket launcher suck so hard? (lol sorry)

6. I forget  :-\

Digin_BR

Re: Tactics questions & kudos
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 01:37:50 am »
1. If I build 2 bases close together, will the radar coverage areas that cross into each other have a higher probability of detection? 2 radars in 1 base help?
probability of detection? - sure not.
maybe it helps for the missiles accuracy...not sure.

2 radars in 1 base will help? - probably not.

2. If I shoot down a UFO with light weapons instead of missles will the UFO be recoverable?
i dont think so.

3. Do soldiers gain anything from auto-missions? I read that their rank will go up but not stats.
hmm...no idea...

4. Are there implants?
if there are, tell me, couse i never could use any as well.

5. Why do laser weapons and especially the rocket launcher suck so hard? (lol sorry)
lasers dont suck! use em with the right soldier and in the right enemy! they have much better accuracy than most rifles!
rocket launcher = shift key (aim at ground)...yea, open-enviroment = direct hit or total miss untill your used to use that key...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:42:41 am by Digin_BR »

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 04:31:17 am »
Regarding Auto-missions, last I heard the system for computing results will eventually be over-hauled, but the coders haven't had enough time yet to address it - I could be wrong though, I haven't checked the wiki in a while...

Regarding implants, there have been plans in place for cybernetic/bionic/mechanical/whatever-you-want-to-call-them implants and enhancements for soldiers for some time, but it is yet to be implemented in the code, although at some point it should happen.

Mr. Samsa

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 03:59:37 am »
 Thanks.

I have played alot more since I last posted and I have most of the info i needed. There dont seem to be any advantages for multiple radar in one base or even crossing radar fields. Auto missions dont raise stats or anything it seems.

Im at a point when it seems i have stopped most of the aliens, because i hardly ever find any now and missions are few.

I anxiously await completion of this game.

odie

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 11:10:40 am »
Thanks.

I have played alot more since I last posted and I have most of the info i needed. There dont seem to be any advantages for multiple radar in one base or even crossing radar fields. Auto missions dont raise stats or anything it seems.

Im at a point when it seems i have stopped most of the aliens, because i hardly ever find any now and missions are few.

I anxiously await completion of this game.

Hehe, looks like its time for yet another beta tester budding in process.

Try out the current 2.3 developer's builds? Lol. Or u might even wan to download the source codes and fiddle and compile your own daily builds. :D (This might not be too good option these couple of days, as something critical is broken and waiting to be fixed. :D)