project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Any plans to get the Ortnok a new look?  (Read 12876 times)

Ildamos

Re: Any plans to get the Ortnok a new look?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 06:51:05 am »
Glad you both agree with the concept. I probably will enlarge the parts surrounding the neck while keeping the shoulder areas minimalistic. God knows how many football-armor there are in the videogame industry these days! (Warhammer 40K's (Chaos and the Emperor's) Space Marines, Metroid's Samus Aran, Samurai Shodown's Hanzo Hattori and Galford, etc)

About the Ortnoks' gauntlets, do they really have to be pincers? (http://ufoai.ninex.info/gallery/game-characters/alien003.jpg.php) Or did you guys do that because of necessity? (placing various weapons in their hands ingame will prove to be difficult if they have multiple fingers) Can I change that?

If I can, can I change the number of fingers they have? This --- http://ufoai.ninex.info/gallery/game-characters/alien001.jpg.php --- show they have human-like hands. I'm thinking though of reducing it to three; one thumb and two fingers. An increase in finger size and it will reinforce the idea that they are large brutes.

The problem is, who will make the 3D model? Is Sitters still around?

If he isn't, I'll still make it. Who knows, maybe in the future he'll come back or another will take his place.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 10:43:07 am »
changing the fingers would only need a change in the skin. the mesh should not be touched (at least for the none-armoured version).

not sure about the pincers - i would say to leave it as it is, or we have to find someone how can update the mesh, too
i would like it if we had two different version of the armoured models.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools

Ildamos

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 08:47:43 pm »
Thanks for the link. The first one I can't seem to open here in the office. The second --- wide mouth, flat nose, and protruding jaws --- don't those imply a simian origin? It's too "terran" a look. Can I draw it using more in the lines of what I've presented above?

odie

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 05:03:27 pm »
Here it is.

TAKE NOTE THAT THIS IS JUST A QUICK SKETCH.

I want to emphasize that they are huge but are lower in the ranks. (Am I right?) I also want to emphasize more armor weight in the shoulder-back area giving a hint that they are a subservient race (cannon fodder working for the smarter Tamans). The spines on its back have lights on them and I fancy they can be used to interface with machinery once in the UFOs to secure them. They also have this holo-rings in front of their faces (near the neckline area) that streams instructions from their Taman masters. The lines in their armor glow (as I seem to remember one of the devs took a fancy to several video game models one of the volunteer artists showed).

I am not well-versed in UFO: AI lore so of course this sketch is subject to changes as I learn in-depth what an Ortnok is.

WOW! TAT IS GOOD!

Haha, i am never really an artist, cannot draw well, but that - that is really a nice looking sketch!

Where'd / whom did u get to sketch tat from?! He/she is talented! :D

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 05:04:05 pm »
Eh, he did say he drew it himself.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 11:28:38 pm »
Thanks for the link. The first one I can't seem to open here in the office. The second --- wide mouth, flat nose, and protruding jaws --- don't those imply a simian origin? It's too "terran" a look. Can I draw it using more in the lines of what I've presented above?

that's something Winter or BTAxis should answer - but i wouldn't count on getting an updated model if you change the ortnok to something that hasn't any similarity with the existing model.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 07:47:00 am »
Funny thing about the human mind. There are some things that are too forign to imagine.
No offence, but there will always be something "terran" about it all, for the simple fact that thats all we have to work with. How can you picture something that no one can describe, and no one has seen?

On the other hand, I must agree that it looks too much like the "evolutionary missing link", but in futuristic gear

Ildamos

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 09:53:51 am »
You have a sound point Vedrit. No offense taken.

the "evolutionary missing link", but in futuristic gear

That's what I was trying to convey.  ;D

Ildamos

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 02:36:09 pm »
The longer you let an idea sit around, the greater the chance that someone else will publish it first.

I just saw Dead Space and noticed that that Isaac guy has a hologram displaying readouts on his chest that he can easily read. If you notice, my Ortnok design has a similar design. (The runes in the front part of his neck are part of the holographic image that the neck part of his armor is projecting.)

NOT SAYING they stole it, just that someone stumbled on my idea on their own.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 04:51:00 pm »
The longer you let an idea sit around, the greater the chance that someone else will publish it first.

I just saw Dead Space and noticed that that Isaac guy has a hologram displaying readouts on his chest that he can easily read. If you notice, my Ortnok design has a similar design. (The runes in the front part of his neck are part of the holographic image that the neck part of his armor is projecting.)

NOT SAYING they stole it, just that someone stumbled on my idea on their own.

Ah, shit...   :(

Yeah, that kind of thing happens on the Internet, quite a bit actually from time to time...

I've had that happen to my own creative works before, you're not the only one.