project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: SDL SetVideoMode failed  (Read 2368 times)

mr.spaceman

SDL SetVideoMode failed
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:11:47 pm »
I'm now trying UFO:AI with a new installation of Debian 5.0 (Lenny) on my desktop [previously I have semi-successfully got the game working with my laptop running Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)].  There is a problem with the graphics - which is annoying as the card I have in my desktop is fairly decent [see specs].  I'm not going to say this is the most cutting edge system, though it's ahead of other people who have also reported this problem.

When I try and execute UFO I get a message describing the video initialisation as:

------- video initialization -------
SDL version: 1.2.11
I: desktop depth: 32bpp
I: setting mode 6: 1024x768 (fullscreen: no)
SDL SetVideoMode failed: Couldn't find matching GLX visual - try to change the r_bitdepth, r_colordepth and r_stencilsize value
Failed to set video mode 1024x768 windowed.
SDL SetVideoMode failed: Couldn't find matching GLX visual - try to change the r_bitdepth, r_colordepth and r_stencilsize value
Error: Video subsystem failed to initialize

I tried installing the flgrx-driver package, though a different error message then appeared so I decided to play it safe and go with the open source drivers [xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd].  I may have got the wrong drivers, or maybe there is another way around this?  I am coming to appreciate the differences between Ubuntu and Debian - my goodness is Ubuntu more user friendly [unfortunately Ubuntu has developed a tendency to hang on my desktop since I replaced the motherboard].

Anyone any ideas?

Mr. S

Relevant Spec. :
AMD Athlon 64
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1650 Pro with 512MB Video RAM