project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Interested in contributing artwork  (Read 3312 times)

Offline UlteriorMotives

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Interested in contributing artwork
« on: April 01, 2009, 12:32:05 am »
Hi, I've played UFO:AI a couple times and recently rediscovered it. I'm a bit of a graphic artist with an inclination towards drawing flags and maps. I've attached a couple things I cooked up in the last few days and wouldn't mind feedback as to whether there's room for it in the project or not:

I started designing a couple of the flags before figuring out where all the artwork is at:

Asian Republic - tried to use symbols from the more prominent Asian countries Korea (taegeuk), Japan (rays from the naval flag), and China (yellow stars on red).

New Africa - Took three of the panafrican colors, red, yellow, and green and combined them in a flag similar to Burkina Faso's, except with a vertical bicolor as opposed to a horizontal one.

Middle-Eastern Alliance - Picked the Panarabic colors and arranged them in five stripes so that they still feature the former flags of non-Arabic countries such as Iran and Afghanistan.

Also, having played the original X-COM, I've found the mission loadscreens to be a bit wanting when it comes to conjuring X-COM's unique atmosphere of apprehension. I'd be interested in making individual loadscreens for the missions if there's room for this, preferably in cooperation with a colorist, as I'm rather unpractised in that regard. Here's the line-art version of what I thought would do for the map "Rivertown" (at least I think that's what it was called"):

I haven't bothered coloring it yet, since someone else might want to give it a shot as well and since it would be a bit much effort if the map screenshots are going to stay.

Lastly, I've only played the latest stable build 2.2.1 x86, so I have no idea how overlays have been or are planned to be implemented, but I'd be interested in working on an alternate political overlay to the one on sourceforge.

Comments?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Interested in contributing artwork
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 12:35:23 am »

Offline UlteriorMotives

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 12:44:12 am »
Thanks, I'll pitch the flags there, possibly even a reworking of the PHALANX symbol eventually. How feasible is my idea for the load-screen images?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 07:29:14 am »
How feasible is my idea for the load-screen images?

In my opinion painting would be cool - but they should not look like a comic but more than the images you get when you win or lose a mission or a campaign. the other problem is also that we would need those images for every of our maps... and that's really much work for an artists to draw them one by one. If you could present realistic drawings for all of our existing maps, we would use them.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 08:57:17 am »
That's true, but I think a better approach would be something more generic, that could be used with any map. That way we won't have a problem with things looking odd if/when more maps show up.

Offline UlteriorMotives

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 10:40:11 am »
Don't think I'd be able to deliver a realistic painting. Ah, well.