project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Fantastic Remake!! (Introduction) (Finished 2.2.1) (My Thoughts and feedback)  (Read 11761 times)

Offline Godmonkey

• Rookie
    • View Profile
I have to say I am impressed! A BIG thank you to all who have put in there time on this!

I am left wanting more, and have seen that more is coming with 2.3, Correct? Is there a change log for the differences in 2.2 and 2.3

I have lots of Feedback, I've seen some of it already talked about... I did search, soume *I found some I didn't.

Map bug [corrupt_city 04d]
This map is my favourite!! I love Alien ships and this one is huge! The Problem was reported last may and I downloaded my build a week ago.
Link to newest thread I found http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2594.0
I understand this will be fixed in 2.3... So no big deal as the map is still playable.

Looking for info, Searched "Alien Base" "Base Mission"
Does 2.2 have alien bases? (I played the standers difficulty and never came across one.) If not are there plans for them in 2.3?

Searched "TFTD" "water missions"
I liked TFTD! Any plans for TFTD like content? special craft that takes off from normal bases but made to go under water to recover downed UFOs or under water Alien Bases... Diveing suits/armor, energy or torpedo like weapons a must! (no need to provide feedback just an answer to the initial question is fine.)

"clothing colours" "User Submitted skins"
Is there a way I can get a template or directions on making and submitting skins for troops and ships?

"Plasma Blaster"
The noise is horrible! its way to long and scratchy/staticy<not a word I know...)
I'm half tempted figure out how to replace it with the sound of cats mating... (much less annoying IMO) 

"Duel wield" (I like beating dead horses)
Found a few posts on this and Haven't agreed much.... I some times shoot guns IRL, and have done the "duel pistols" just for the heck of it...
Sure its less accurate, but you can unload about 20 45cal rounds in seconds and It does more damage at 50 feet to clay pots then the same time spent shooting 6 7.62 rounds at 60 feet to same type of target.
I think only a slight accuracy drop and a slight range drop when using both at the same time... BUT you get yo use more rounds in and of obviously mote TU (ie: lead in the air is good!) I don't have my hopes up... Hevy weapons are fine...

Related to base missions.... Can our bases be invaded? If not any 2.3 Plans for it?

Please Be aware I had a lot of questions and searched for most all the answers for them these are the ones left unanswered.

Thanks for the great game
Godmonkey

PS: I went to preview my post WTF is up with the white text on retna burning yellow backround? (Didn't bother to look it over much beacuse of that.)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
I am left wanting more, and have seen that more is coming with 2.3, Correct? Is there a change log for the differences in 2.2 and 2.3

Hmm, we do have a changelog on the wiki, but it doesn't really tell the whole story. Still, you could check it out, I suppose.

Looking for info, Searched "Alien Base" "Base Mission"
Does 2.2 have alien bases? (I played the standers difficulty and never came across one.) If not are there plans for them in 2.3?

There are no alien bases in 2.2.x. They are implemented in 2.3, though, but there will be only one of them, by means of that version's final mission. It won't have a lot of things the bases are supposed to have, though, because that's all still on the TODO.

Searched "TFTD" "water missions"
I liked TFTD! Any plans for TFTD like content? special craft that takes off from normal bases but made to go under water to recover downed UFOs or under water Alien Bases... Diveing suits/armor, energy or torpedo like weapons a must! (no need to provide feedback just an answer to the initial question is fine.)

Sorry, no underwater missions. They're not part of the scope we're working on.

"clothing colours" "User Submitted skins"
Is there a way I can get a template or directions on making and submitting skins for troops and ships?

We have image sources in a separate SVN branch, data_source. I'm not sure about the soldier skins, though... Those predate the really open source version of this project, so maybe the sources for those aren't in there because we never had them.

"Plasma Blaster"
The noise is horrible! its way to long and scratchy/staticy<not a word I know...)
I'm half tempted figure out how to replace it with the sound of cats mating... (much less annoying IMO) 

You should be able to disable it by deleting the appropriate sound file. You may have to unpack your pk3 archives for this (in the base folder). They're zip files, so anything that handles zip will handle them too. Once you unpack an archive, you no longer need to keep it. The game can read unpacked files as well.

Related to base missions.... Can our bases be invaded? If not any 2.3 Plans for it?

Absolutely. Base invasions are in 2.3.

PS: I went to preview my post WTF is up with the white text on retna burning yellow backround? (Didn't bother to look it over much beacuse of that.)

Ha, yeah. That's awful. I don't know how to change it, or I would.

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Ha, yeah. That's awful. I don't know how to change it, or I would.

This should be somewhere in the CSS of the skin/template/theme (I don't know how it's called in SMF)...?

In the meantime Godmonkey (or even you ;)) may want to switch to the "Alienation" theme - it's also a dark one, not sooooo far away from the forum's standard, but not THAT cruel when replying. ;D

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
I don't think I have access to that. And if I did, I don't have the knowhow.

Offline Godmonkey

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Vary Nice [/borat] a forum that has more then one style to use... I apologize for not checking.

Thanks for the replies. I'm running linux for the first time for about 2 weeks now.... Is the 2.3 beta working for it? I would really love to try it out... also a linux noob and not use to how things are installed on it... (Using wine to run the windows build.... don't judge...)

I for got to add...
"Auto un-equip"
in the menu were we gear up our troops that are on ships.... a handy button could be "auto un-equip", were it removes the selected troops gear so you can more easily re/equip them.

I'm off to read the entire Wiki... (I'll read it all so I don't have to go back... Wiki is the devil!)

Thanks again
Godmonkey

PS: the preview screen for the suggested style is white text on black. A lot nicer, Thanks Borsti67.

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
I don't think I have access to that. And if I did, I don't have the knowhow.
ah, you're not an Admin of the board? 'cause if you are, you would have access. ;)
Anyway, since you 're not familiar with CSS (if I understand you right) maybe some other Admin could have a glance into this? It looks like the forum default is a customized theme, if the designer is still here may be he could check it out.

In the meantime I'm happy with the other one(s). :)

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
if the designer is still here may be he could check it out.

Such information could be added to the wiki, something like "meet the team". Of course only if the person in question does not mind to be added to such a page...  :-)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Like I said, my knowledge of this is limited. I think I can actually edit the style sheet, but I don't know what to edit. Our current style sheet is here. If anyone can tell me what to change, I'll give it a shot.

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
hmmm...
color #ffd800 is that yellowish thingy. There is an element ".bordercolor" (line 260) which changes the background, not the border. May be that's the issue?
It's the only part that looks a little strange to me...

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
That seems to do it. Can't change it now though, because the style sheet isn't writable. I'll get hold of someone who can fix that.

[Edit]
Hmm, I changed it, but now a lot of the borders are gone too... I know how to fix it, but I rely on other people to temporarily make the css writeable.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 04:56:30 pm by BTAxis »

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Hmm, I changed it, but now a lot of the borders are gone too... I know how to fix it, but I rely on other people to temporarily make the css writeable.

Despite of the border lines: Quoting looks much better that way - thanks!
I believe you just changed the color code to that of the standard background?
May be some slightly lighter grey instead could bring back lines without breaking the design...

BTW, do you also sleep sometimes? ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 06:51:49 pm by Borsti67 »

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
But now whole forum is broke, there is no vertical borders in topic and theme view.

Offline SharkD

• Rookie
    • View Profile
I have a question: Progress in the campaign I'm currently playing seems to have stalled. I have no more stuff to research, and every battle is extremely easy. Have I reached the "end" of the existing content (2.2.1 stable version), or is there something I need to do to trigger the end game? Should I start over using the development version?

-Mike

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
2.2.1 has no real end, you probably got everything there is.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Okay, borders are back. It should look almost the same as before, except for too many borders in some places, and I don't think I can get rid of that (except by breaking the preview again).