project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: What happened to first-person view?  (Read 3428 times)

Offline phiwum

• Rookie
    • View Profile
What happened to first-person view?
« on: March 24, 2009, 03:03:49 am »
Hello.

I recently upgraded from 2.2 to 2.3 --- and then downgraded when I came across the stairs bug (my first mission was a harvester landing, with the guy hiding on the top level!).  But aside from that bug, I liked the changes in 2.3 (autostand seemed a little flaky on my build, but no big deal).

However, I noticed they took out the first person view.  I suppose that it was a lot of effort to keep the artwork up for both views, but I sure miss it.  What led to the decision to drop it?  Is it a temporary loss, or is it gone, gone, gone?

Sorry if this topic has been discussed, but I couldn't find it when searching.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
Re: What happened to first-person view?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 05:47:49 am »
"it was gone, gone, gone"

odie

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 08:07:26 am »
Hello.

I recently upgraded from 2.2 to 2.3 --- and then downgraded when I came across the stairs bug (my first mission was a harvester landing, with the guy hiding on the top level!).  But aside from that bug, I liked the changes in 2.3 (autostand seemed a little flaky on my build, but no big deal).

However, I noticed they took out the first person view.  I suppose that it was a lot of effort to keep the artwork up for both views, but I sure miss it.  What led to the decision to drop it?  Is it a temporary loss, or is it gone, gone, gone?

Sorry if this topic has been discussed, but I couldn't find it when searching.

Hi,

This is already in the plans. FPV (First Person View) will be removed. Yupz. It has been now.

I guess u will be one of those like me..... missing FPV. lol.

Offline phiwum

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 12:57:59 pm »
What was the reason to remove it?  Was it too tedious to keep it up to date?  Or was it because the images from first-person view didn't match the look of the rest of the game?

Oh well.  I liked FPV because it was a distinctive feature.  I've never seen a turn-based strategy game with first-person view and it was useful for determining line of sight.

But I reckon the developers have their reasons.  I just wonder what they are.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 01:11:30 pm »
[...]But I reckon the developers have their reasons.  I just wonder what they are.
i could speculate it might have had something to do with the line of fire and line of sight discussion, but that's just the only thing that has caught my eye.
in that discussion they didn't want bullets to come out of the barrel at unnatural angles (as if someone looked so closely at what angle the bullets came from, while the map is too much zoomed out most of the time).
unbelievable, but nevertheless you got to respect the perfection, lol.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 01:12:38 pm »
The only real reason is that mattn doesn't like it. It's to be replaced by a third person view that doesn't let you see any ceilings.

odie

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 11:09:00 am »
The only real reason is that mattn doesn't like it. It's to be replaced by a third person view that doesn't let you see any ceilings.
A 3rd person view?? Wow, u mean cam-chase?? Pls correct me..... i thought the top down view is the 3rd person view already?