project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New geoscape issue  (Read 7219 times)

s300pmu1

New geoscape issue
« on: March 07, 2009, 11:06:56 pm »
Once I've started testing 2.3 I saw that the geoscape was reworked to look more like vanilla X-COM, with earth at the left side and buttons on the right.

Point 1: If you do it like this, it is logical to center the earth in the space reserved for it. In the version I tried, it was centered across the whole sreen, which left little space betweeen the right side of the globe and the button panel. This looks not quite pretty.

Point 2: could not find the "flat earth" option available in previous stable build. Me, personally, found it quite convenient. If possible - by not means a request, just a suggestion - it would be great to have it back as an option.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New geoscape issue
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 11:23:23 pm »
Bayo tells me it's not possible to center the earth like you suggested because of autofit functions. As for the 2D geoscape, all you have to do is disable the 3D geoscape option in the game menu.

s300pmu1

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 12:10:12 am »
Bayo tells me it's not possible to center the earth like you suggested because of autofit functions. As for the 2D geoscape, all you have to do is disable the 3D geoscape option in the game menu.

Pity; perhaps, it will be possible to overcome this somehow later on.
Thanks for the 2d geoscape hint, anyhow. I'd buy you a drink if you ever come around Moscow )
Keep up the good work!

s300pmu1

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 12:31:06 am »
As for the 2D geoscape, all you have to do is disable the 3D geoscape option in the game menu.

I know now what made me think it wasn't working: the first time you start the game, when I setup the options prior to starting the campaign, the 3D option is not checked, though I naturally expected to see flat Earth. Once I started the game, thoug, it was as round as Galilee claimed it to be. Having read your previous post, I went to check the 3D setting again, and surely, it was checked. Trned it off, and the world was comfortably flat again.

However, at 1024*1280, the 2D geoscape appears vertically stretched.

I would ask you to consider the following: remove (or at least make it an option which one can turn on/off) the navigation aid on the control pane. It really stands out with its big arrows. This functionality is readily available - and much more convenient to use - with the right mous button and scroll weel. I do think that some people - perhaps under a thousand - on this planet do not have an RMB on their mouse, or a scroll weel, but for those few a checkmark in the options could do the trick.

To make my point, there is a mod for another XCOM clone which removes arrows akin to those introduced in the latest builds of UFO:AI for same reasons as described above.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 12:39:04 am by s300pmu1 »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 01:21:58 am »
As I like to remind people, I don't actually have a scroll wheel.

The option should be checked when you first set up the options. If it isn't, that's a bug.

s300pmu1

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 01:47:48 am »

The option should be checked when you first set up the options. If it isn't, that's a bug.

I'll check later, but I'm sure the #D was unchecked the first time I started UFO:AI after install, but was checked the first time I started a campaign.

As for the scroll wheel, as I said, having the geoscape earth rotation / zoom displayed should be an option, not mandatory.
Anyhow, scrollwheel is for zooming, which can be easily assigned to +/- keys on keyboard, should one's mouse miss the scrollwheel.
And the RMB is unarguably much more convenient for rotating earth than clicking something.
As I said, an option to turn off gescape nav controls would be optimal, IMHO.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 07:18:48 pm »
Hello

geoscape earth rotation / zoom displayed should be an option, not mandatory.

I dont specially like the current control, but i dont see the point of the "should be an option". We have some space for it, we use it. Its not very hard to remove, but i dont understand why.

However, at 1024*1280, the 2D geoscape appears vertically stretched.

At the momeen, we use the more screen space we have to display the full map. As a result the map is every time stretched; 4:3 its already a stretch; you must have a 2:1 screen to have a real unstretched map.

Maybe we can think about using an unstretched map every where, but we will no more use the full space for a 4:3, screen. Maybe we also can think about a minimal ratio, for example, at worst displaying the map into a square (4:3 or 16:9 screen will continue to use the full screen for the map).

I dont know how much work it need.

s300pmu1

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 07:38:11 pm »
...dont see the point of the "should be an option". We have some space for it, we use it. Its not very hard to remove, but i dont understand why.

Because it is distracting, a big bright spot in the otherwise dark area. But as I said, it is my own opinion, and you may safely ignore it )
Just note that people in other games make mods to remove such controls as RMB is enough and screen clutter is to be avoided  )))

...unstretched map.
I dont know how much work it need.

Thank you for the answer; by no means should it be considered a priority; there is a bunch of other stuff to be done first, most of it listed in my post "Regional\language setting & Buy\Sell Bugs + Some Feature requests (upd) "  ;D

Anywise, I've seen the new geoscape in UI proposals or whatever it was called, and I guess it will replace the current one eventually, and such not having controls in question, in a year or two my suggestions will have materialized on their own )
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 10:41:38 pm by s300pmu1 »

odie

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 08:23:10 am »

Oh poor BTAxis.... By ani chance r u in singapore??
I can sponsor u a free wheel mouse! Seriously.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:29:28 am by odie »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 12:55:41 pm »
No no, I use a trackball. I find it much more comfortable than a normal mouse. The lack of a wheel is a drawback, but one I've learned to live with. They also make ones with a wheel, but those are three times as expensive ($60 vs $20) and they're cordless, and I don't want cordless.

odie

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 05:19:58 am »
No no, I use a trackball. I find it much more comfortable than a normal mouse. The lack of a wheel is a drawback, but one I've learned to live with. They also make ones with a wheel, but those are three times as expensive ($60 vs $20) and they're cordless, and I don't want cordless.

Nods nods. Curious BTAxis, u should be using a x86 (as in windows) system rite? Why not try a dual mouse?

Trackball as ur main function, and pluck in a USB based mouse (or PS2 if not in use) and then put that aside, only to use the wheel if required.

Why i suggested this? Cos i have this dubid layout for keyboard, and i pluck in 2 pointer devices and 2 input devices (aka 2 mouse [mice] + laptop keyboard and USB based normal 101 keyboard). Well, all for the sake of games and well, 'multiplayer' arcades on my lappy. :P

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 11:52:18 am »
Yeah, I'm on x86 for now, though on my next system upgrade (which I'm putting off) I'll likely switch to x64 as my memory capacity will go beyond 4GB then. All my input devices are USB, actually, because the PS/2 ports on my mobo are broken.

odie

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 03:05:49 am »
Yeah, I'm on x86 for now, though on my next system upgrade (which I'm putting off) I'll likely switch to x64 as my memory capacity will go beyond 4GB then. All my input devices are USB, actually, because the PS/2 ports on my mobo are broken.

Oh.... boooo hoooo. I hate the ps2 ports when they crank off....... Ah well..... look forward to the new upgrade then. lol. (I am also putting off my upgrade -.-" economic crisis, and partially lazy to assemble it myself. :P)

Oh on x64, u going for vista premium or other x64 platforms?? I still would love my winxp (yar, a bit hard to believe, but yes, i still think xp's better, though linux rox!)