project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Assertion Failure  (Read 2995 times)

Canuck77

Assertion Failure
« on: March 16, 2009, 05:10:18 pm »
Using latest Windows Destructavator build (rev 23515).

Windows XP SP3, latest patches as of 16 Mar, Trend Micro AV, Dell Latitude E6400 laptop w/NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M graphics.

I have NOT been able to reproduce this error.

Created a new base, manually placed buildings, hired soldiers and bought equipment. Went to Geoscape, then double-clicked base, and crashed (as attached - screenshot and ufoconsole.log file attached as txt).

If I've missed anything in the report, please let me know - first one I've submitted. :)

Thanks a lot for your great work in the product - I'll keep testing and help however I can. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Canuck77

Re: Assertion Failure
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 05:18:02 pm »
I'm actually getting a fair number of these errors with the build - here's another one I've just got (attached PNG).

This one was:

- Load savegame
- Click base
- Click "hire employees".

I've attached the savegame, as well as the screenshot.

Update: This one CAN be reproduced, and I've isolated the problem. When I play in WINDOWED mode, the error comes up... when I play in FULLSCREEN, the error does not.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 01:22:05 am »
Any chance you could produce a backtrace for that ?
See http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Debugging

The function with the assertion is called from many places. It would certainly help if you could further narrow it down, e.g. does it also happen with auto-built bases ?

Canuck77

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 01:05:53 pm »
It's weird... I grabbed a later build (R23542 compiled by Odie), and I can't get this behavior to repeat.

I'll keep trying - but at the very least, it's much more solid - on the build I originally mentioned, I could get it to duplicate after 3-4 minutes of effort. I've been intentionally trying to crash the game for about 35 minutes now, and nothing. :)

Canuck77

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 02:54:03 pm »
Huh - still am finding this, even after updating to the newest build again. It doesn't seem to happen nearly as often, but I'll get it every 20-25 minutes at random times.

I've been through the wiki page you sent, but I don't think Odie's build is configured in debug mode, unless I'm really misunderstanding things. Is it possible for me to produce backtraces using this build at all? If it is, could some kind soul please help me out with some manual steps? (Sorry for that - I've honestly tried, but seem to have a mental block)...

Edit: This is most certainly related to windowed mode somehow. I played for a really long period of time (90 minutes) in fullscreen and no crashes at all. Windowed mode, while not the 2-3 minute frequency when I first reported it, still seems to happen at least every half hour...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 02:59:57 pm by Canuck77 »

odie

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 10:19:34 am »
Huh - still am finding this, even after updating to the newest build again. It doesn't seem to happen nearly as often, but I'll get it every 20-25 minutes at random times.

I've been through the wiki page you sent, but I don't think Odie's build is configured in debug mode, unless I'm really misunderstanding things. Is it possible for me to produce backtraces using this build at all? If it is, could some kind soul please help me out with some manual steps? (Sorry for that - I've honestly tried, but seem to have a mental block)...

Edit: This is most certainly related to windowed mode somehow. I played for a really long period of time (90 minutes) in fullscreen and no crashes at all. Windowed mode, while not the 2-3 minute frequency when I first reported it, still seems to happen at least every half hour...

Canuck77: I did not built it in debug mode.
Let me do an update, recompile in debug mode for us tml ok? :)

*edit*
PS: I am a full screen user.... i have heard of all the windowed issue..... hmmmm. Let me try my current built tonite. :P I got a lil time on hand later.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 10:23:07 am by odie »