project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Spacemouse/spacenavigator ?  (Read 3155 times)

akonrad

Spacemouse/spacenavigator ?
« on: January 27, 2009, 02:51:43 pm »
Hi,
Would it be possible in any future to add a 3D controller support? They're dirt cheap these days, and this is exactly the kind of game where they would be usable the most.
Regards
Konrad
PS Is it possible to make a mod doing this? Just curious- if yes, I might try my mediocre coding skills...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 02:56:12 pm by akonrad »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Spacemouse/spacenavigator ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 04:31:58 pm »
What do you mean by 3D controller? And modding, for that matter. It's an open source game so you can (theoretically) do whatever you want, but on the user friendly side we have a lot of scripts that dictate the behavior of the game.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 04:42:02 pm »
Hello. Like said BTAxis, do you have a example of controller name? Controllers like Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic Commander should be configurable with the game. SDL should already manage and translate to the game actions from controllers with random number of buttons or axes.

Is anybody already test controllers like that with the game?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 04:43:20 pm »
I know the game works fine with my PS2 pad. I've also got a Saitek Cyborg EVO Force flight stick, but I haven't tried it. I can only assume it'll work, though.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 01:20:15 am »
I have an old joystick with tons of buttons, a "hat" or whatever that moves on the top, etc. that has the old joystick port interface but plugs into a modern machine with an adapter to USB, and I tried it with the game, it works just fine with UFO: AI.

akonrad

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 02:43:57 pm »
I mean one of these toys
http://shop.3dconnexion.co.uk/?gclid=CJvA4vzys5gCFQ0zQgoddQzRVA
They are used mainly in CAD/3D software, but for instance Google Earth utilises it as well- to a great benefit!.
Before I (or anyone else) get drawned under documentaion- could anyone give a tip how to simply change position of the camera in the game?
Cheers
Konrad

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 05:04:50 pm »
About the support of SpaceNavigator with SDL: http://www.nabble.com/Adding-SpaceNavigator-support-to-libSDL-td16823123.html

I understand the controller will only be fully supported with SDL 1.3. UFO:AI use SDL 1.2 (the stable version), it dont support this controller (or only some axes, i dont know).