project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: I need practice.  (Read 3912 times)

hotdog

I need practice.
« on: December 28, 2008, 02:36:34 am »
Since this is mostly intended to be a disscussion I felt it should go in this forum. If I am wrong please move it to the correct place. I now have a TON of time to spare so I thought maybe I should learn a thing or two about UFO AI. That being said I wanted to take on a project to improve my skills.

To be blunt. I wish to practice my skills on UFO AI by modding it.

I would like to ask what people think project wise would be good practice.

Making some weapons and armor? Making new people graphics? Please tell me your thoughts on this matter.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: I need practice.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 02:52:21 am »
I can't speak for the rest here, but I've felt for a long time that the game could really use more alien races, aliens that really look alien and not like they could be humans in costumes.

I've tried to work on this myself but haven't been successful in making the time for it.

I'll also point out what Sitters mentioned elsewhere in this forum:  If you want to make something new, a quick concept drawing or rough draft might be good to show off first, to avoid putting a ton of work into something that doesn't get approved.

Somewhere there is a list of needed models and graphics, please forgive me as I don't have a link handy at the moment, but it is around here or the wiki somewhere.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 01:37:55 pm »
With actors, they can be either 1x1 or 2x2. Aliens are no exception. That kind of limits what you can do with the shapes, but I agree that it would be nice to have some less humanoid looking ones.

Offline Wizard^^

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 09:28:50 pm »
For a really twisted mod you could flip it and make it aliens trying to stop humans attacking  :P
Or you do something funny and make it animals attacking (Cows with guns & Chickens in choppers) :o ;D

Oh the fun!!!

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 10:24:13 pm »
we have such a campaign for play testing already - but the campaign is deactivated in the script files ;)

hotdog

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 11:37:38 pm »
Well I will only draw out concept art if I want to actually send it in for use. I really would rather get a few things done before I even start thinking like that though.

Also today I made a killer chicken in wings (haha). Now if only my guys didn't have such an insane morale rating...they would freak out and it would be like the vorpal bunny scene from monty python and the holy grail.

"RUN AWAY!"

Anyways I will work on him some more. Then try to get him in game.

Offline Wizard^^

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 05:02:39 pm »
What about a mod to fly the interceptors or just an easteregg or 3?? ;D