project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How do you aim the grenades and rockets?  (Read 5199 times)

fac

How do you aim the grenades and rockets?
« on: December 29, 2008, 11:02:23 pm »
Hi,

I love this game and hope it stays freeware and you keep developing it for the Mac. I am using OSX 10.4.11 on a G4 iBook - the program works fine especially with the new version 2.2.1 - have not had any random crashes as in v2.2.

I do have a few questions and could not find any good answers on the forum so far. Please bear with me if they have already been answered.

1.  How do you aim the grenades and get them to go through a window or onto a balcony or through a door. For the life of me I cannot get the right angle to do this.

2.  Same question for the grenade launcher and rocket launcher. Also, when I fire the rocket launcher the rocket does not land where I mark the red x on the ground - it basically flies into oblivion!

3.  I still have a tough time with the TUs - the aliens seem like they can shoot me 3 or 4 times and move all over the place whereas I can barely move three spaces and run out of TUs to shoot them. Is there a way to make it easier to move so I have TUs to shoot someone!

4.  I cannot figure out the production process or for some reason it is not working right - is there a short description of how that process works?

5.  When I upgraded from 2.2 to 2.2.1, I lost all of my previous save games - is there a way to prevent that? I did not see anything on how to keep your previous saved games from getting overwritten/lost?

Thanks for the great game!

Frank

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: How do you aim the grenades and rockets?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 11:13:11 pm »
I'm not sure if this works in 2.2.1, but you can try using the shift key to change the height of your aim. If it doesn't work you'll have to wait for 2.3.

Grenade angles can't really be influenced much even in 2.3, unfortunately.

Offline DuKe2112

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:54:33 am »
1+2: Remember that you can choose between explosion on contact or bouncing, that can help with the doors, windows are pretty much imposible. Baloconies on the other hand shouldn't be a problem at all if you stand in the right distance.

3: Almost all of the aliens at the beginning use pistols, which generally don't use much TU, take If you use eg the 9mm you can shoot 5 times in a row too ( or 9-12 times if you use trippleshot).

4. You just need a workshop and have to recruit up to ten workers for it. Then go to the production screen and queue the items to built, then wait. Depending ehat you build that can easily take a week and more. Note that a second workshop with anotzher 19 workers rduces the time down to 25%

5. Can't realy be helped most of the time. It's just a beta version, often the new version needs to load data the old one did not save.

fac

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 02:27:08 pm »
My Thanks to BTAxis and DuKe2112 for the prompt replies. I had one more question:

When a base produces something and sells it, does it go into the general buy/sell pool of equipment that any other base can buy from?

Thanks and hope you all have a Happy New Year!

Frank

Offline DuKe2112

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 04:23:18 pm »
When a base produces something and sells it, does it go into the general buy/sell pool of equipment that any other base can buy from?
Yep, it's a fast but expesive form of transport.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 05:23:55 pm »
It will eventually be changed so items you buy take some time to arrive, but for now it's still instantaneous.

odie

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 09:51:15 am »
It will eventually be changed so items you buy take some time to arrive, but for now it's still instantaneous.

BTAxis,

Being curious, whilst we are on this still.....
Have you seen the game X-Force before?
I like their sell/buy concept. Check it out here: X-Force

Not trying to ask us to plagarise or anything, but the concept of where the stuff came from, and the estimated time of arrival is a good model. :)

CapnKill

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 01:16:17 am »
BTAxis,

Being curious, whilst we are on this still.....
Have you seen the game X-Force before?
I like their sell/buy concept. Check it out here: X-Force

Not trying to ask us to plagarise or anything, but the concept of where the stuff came from, and the estimated time of arrival is a good model. :)

Can't say the same for their battlescape... yuck.

I do like the idea of an aircraft with a radar on it... not sure if UFO AI is doing that, I haven't even scratched the surface yet.  But it would've been nice in the original X-Com when you don't have money for a new base but you still want some radar coverage.