project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: A few thoughts from an X-Com junkie!  (Read 2892 times)

shockwave

A few thoughts from an X-Com junkie!
« on: November 17, 2008, 09:47:07 pm »
I must have played Xcom Enemy unknown on my playstation through at least 40 times, I hate most games except strategy games.. Xcom was the only game that I ever enjoyed and I really did spend much more time than I should have on it.

When I bought my first PC I looked and looked for a windows version of the game and I had settled for playing it on Dos Box and the pocket PC one until joy of joys I stumbled on your work in progress version.

So I spent the whole day playing the single player campaign when I should have been working so you must be doing something right!

I know it is work in progress, but after I played it for today I have to say that it really needs to have a few things to make it perfect :)

1: Destructible terrain (I have read some posts here saying that it's difficult to impliment.. Well, compared to some of the other things you have implimented, it is not difficult!).

Sometimes in the original game you'd be on a farm and just know that there was a sectoid in there.. It made me so happy to be able to just use a grenade, high explosive, or better still a heavy weapon platform to just totally demolish that wall and kill whatever was behind it.

Even better yet, sectoids were sometimes stunned or overcome by the smoke saving the bother of stunning them!

I'm sure a lot of people here will also remember the joy of the blaster launchers too with thier programmable way points, you could send a fission bomb through a window or doorway and just totally level the inside of a building, killing everything inside.

Please say that destructable buildings will appear in the game?

2: Heavy weapons platforms.. I see that the drop ship is big enough to accomodate HWP's but I don't see any tanks or research paths to create the totally cool hovertanks? I do hope that they are planned!

3: Flying suits / Power suits. To be able to develop these would certainly add to the experience and also the gameplay.

4: Progressive stats.. At the moment I couldn't care if one of my soldiers gets killed because they dont seem to improve over time anyway. In the original xcom I used to hate it when I lost a good guy. ATM I just hire another without even thinking of loading my savegame.

5: Ufo landing sites.. They look fabulous, I really love the graphics you have used, far better than the original game but you need to have some of the really big ufo's too!

6: Psionic abilities.. The PSI lab formed a huge part of my strategies in the original Xcom, it was very satisfying taking control of an ethereal leader, making him throw down his weapon and have him float over to you to be stunned.

I could go on, if you want I will, I'm happy to write all week if it means that you add more and more to this game.

You're really doing a fantastic job on this, you have my respect and grattitude for taking this project on. It's not an easy one thats for sure and I can't wait to see what other races you devise...

But....

Make sure that they include the sectoids and Ethereals please!!! Those two races were totally perfect.

Thank you for all the hard work you have put into your class recreation.

Btw, when I think I paid $10 to play fantasticcontraption, I'd happily donate to this project.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 09:49:11 pm by shockwave »

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: A few thoughts from an X-Com junkie!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 01:37:43 am »
#1: Destructible Terrain: We all would really like to see this, but with the current engine it is definitely impossible. It is planned to implement some items/furniture/objects to be destructible, but this is not assignable on whole maps.

#2: Heavy weapon platforms: The maps are more or less prepared for them, but there is some code to be done to implement 2x2 sized units.

#3: Flying suits: Currently there are no efforts into this direction, but it is a good idea. Currently there are just other things more important to be done.

#4: Progressive stats: As far as I remember the stats increase, but reeeaaalllllyyyy slow. This is something that needs a proper balancing.

#5: Ufo landing sites: There are more UFOs planned. At the moment you can just see the scout/fighter/supply ship and the harvester as the first bigger one (I am not sure about the supply ship. A model exists but I dont know if it is implemented)

#6: Psionic abilities: I dont know anything about them, but they are a MUST HAVE in my opinion :)

good night@everyone

ghosta

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 02:26:33 am »
ghosta didn't know everything and got some of it wrong, so let me clarify:

1: Destructible terrain (I have read some posts here saying that it's difficult to impliment.. Well, compared to some of the other things you have implimented, it is not difficult!).

Sorry, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Either that or you're a brilliant coder and you know how to get it done, in which case go for it. I suggest you read around some more to find out the particular issues with this. Do NOT press the discussion though, or I'll have to lock the thread.

2: Heavy weapons platforms.. I see that the drop ship is big enough to accomodate HWP's but I don't see any tanks or research paths to create the totally cool hovertanks? I do hope that they are planned!

They are indeed. The first tanks available will not be flying, but a flying version will be researchable.

3: Flying suits / Power suits. To be able to develop these would certainly add to the experience and also the gameplay.

There won't be a flying suit as in X-COM, but there will be a jumpsuit that lets you fly short distances (beginning and ending on a walkable surface but traveling through the air).

4: Progressive stats.. At the moment I couldn't care if one of my soldiers gets killed because they dont seem to improve over time anyway. In the original xcom I used to hate it when I lost a good guy. ATM I just hire another without even thinking of loading my savegame.

This is basically done for 2.3. Of course it does need tweaking, as does everything else.

5: Ufo landing sites.. They look fabulous, I really love the graphics you have used, far better than the original game but you need to have some of the really big ufo's too!

What ghosta said. The biggest ships will be the bomber and the battleship UFOs (the bomber UFO is the really big one that you find near the end of 2.2.1). Much work needs to be done in this area.

6: Psionic abilities.. The PSI lab formed a huge part of my strategies in the original Xcom, it was very satisfying taking control of an ethereal leader, making him throw down his weapon and have him float over to you to be stunned.

Psionics are on the agenda, no two ways about it. Don't expect mind controlling enemies X-COM style though.

I could go on, if you want I will, I'm happy to write all week if it means that you add more and more to this game.

It doesn't. Writing on the forums is a good way to not influence development. Actively contributing, however, is. You should try it, it's not hard at all and it would be much appreciated.

Make sure that they include the sectoids and Ethereals please!!! Those two races were totally perfect.

Not going to happen. This is not X-COM, nor is it in any way related to the X-COM universe. Not to mention copyright issues. The Tamans are sort of similar to sectoids though.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 02:28:07 am by BTAxis »

shockwave

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 05:38:49 pm »
Are you always as rude to people who pay you a compliment and give you feedback on you nice game?

You better lock the thread and delete my account.

Best of luck with it.