project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Obama Wins Election  (Read 33301 times)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: Obama Wins Election
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2008, 10:01:03 am »
Having lived in both countries, I can testify that both the dutch and the English are racist as fuck. However, I've also visited the US, and concluded that European racism is nothing like American racism.

Europeans complain about immigration and all those damned foreigners around nowadays, but they don't discriminate to anyone's face. Americans will try to avoid you or treat you rudely the second they find out you're from another country, let alone a different skin tone.

This is first-hand. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, but that's my experience.

Regards,
Winter

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2008, 08:44:47 pm »
Trash man you trust hillary more than mccain and obama?? you cant be serious... The clinton-bush oligarchy is what has gotten us into this mess... 20 years of letting them run our country into the dirt and selling everything to china for the lowest common denominator...

No no.. I trust obama and mccain far more than ill ever trust a bush or a clinton...

I honestly would have been happy with either mccain or obama.... less than satisfied with palin... than with Biden.... but neither of them were named bush or clinton... thats all that mattered to me.

So family name is the only thing that interested you during election? :o

Well, clearly we have vastly different views. I for one consider Clinton one of the best presidents the US had.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2008, 08:49:16 pm »
Europeans complain about immigration and all those damned foreigners around nowadays, but they don't discriminate to anyone's face.

They feel threatened as a culture..as a people. With good reason.
The West..the clasisscal white christian male/female if you want it - is dying out. Slowly, but it's happening.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2008, 09:33:38 pm »
They feel threatened as a culture..as a people. With good reason.

They haven't got a culture anymore. The #1 dish in Britain is chicken tikka massala, for pity's sake. The only thing threatening them is their own failure to move with the times.

Regards,
Winter

Juni Ori

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2008, 08:21:26 am »
Winter, with all respect, that's a huge exaggeration. The more the outside-culture causes pressure, the more people bring their own culture in public and are proud of it. Unfortunately, and this is why I have resisted too many refugees taken, this can cause also very strong nationalism, racism and xenophobia. Saying that european cultures don't move with the times is just ignorance or arrogance, I hope the first one. European culture is actually kind of unifying in many ways, while still sticking to the old traditions. Cultural problems, poverty and racial unequality in countries with huge numbers of refugees and immigrants, such as GB and France, is unfortunate, but unavoidable.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2008, 01:14:39 pm »
They haven't got a culture anymore. The #1 dish in Britain is chicken tikka massala, for pity's sake. The only thing threatening them is their own failure to move with the times.

Regards,
Winter

If by "move with the times" you mean "go quietly into the night", then I'd agree with you.

But to be honest Britain, to my knowledge, never had a varried domestic quisine. There is more to culture than just food tough.

But if you are right saying that they don't have a culture anymore, why do you think it is so? What about other countries that still do? Should they simply allow their culture to dissapear? It is, after all, a very precious thing.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2008, 03:51:31 pm »
It is, after all, a very precious thing.

I don't see why. It's empty ritualism with no significance apart from being old. I have no use for concepts that don't have a practical justification.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2008, 04:59:51 pm »

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2008, 02:05:51 pm »
I don't see why. It's empty ritualism with no significance apart from being old. I have no use for concepts that don't have a practical justification.

A culture that was shaped by my father, and my fathers father, etc, etc... Customs, songs, language, the way of life .. you call all these things insignificant?

So why exactly should I abandon my culture and adopt the new one? What exactly is better in it? Do you have any justification for that? And lastly, just cause you don't see why it doesn't mean it is worthless. Obviously it means a lot to a lot of people. Or are you saying that all those people who put some worth into their culture are morons and you are the only intelligent one?

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2008, 02:11:05 pm »
Some of these are significant. But some...hey, burning witches at stakes was once a tradition too.

Juni Ori

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2008, 12:00:04 pm »
I guess Winter is american, at least very common comment from there. In any case, there's some sort of culture. I prefer some sort of bit more traditional, but I like seeing some of the new features that have been implemented to ours. However, I hate those superficial parts that have appeared here too.

Offline ManicMiner

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2008, 10:34:58 pm »
"The #1 dish in Britain is chicken tikka massala, for pity's sake."

The British CTM dish which is #1 in the UK (if you believe the late Robin Cook) was inspired by the Asian dish but is actually a Glaswegian creation.

We Brits don't move with the times, that's true. We stand still if we can possibly help it.

We're fighting the long game.

Given time, if we stand still long enough the American Evangelical Right will have retreated into their cold war bunkers to avoid the Blue Menace of Islamicisation, the American mainstream will be in the grip of a new hippy zeitgeist, the Middle East and Africa will be split into so many sectarian conflicts that they won't be a threat to anybody, the French will be paralysed with national strikes (no change there), China will have gassed itself in its own polluting fumes, Russia's elite will be too busy buying football teams to worry about anything else...

And the world'll be ours for the taking.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2008, 02:12:31 am »
I guess Winter is american, at least very common comment from there. In any case, there's some sort of culture. I prefer some sort of bit more traditional, but I like seeing some of the new features that have been implemented to ours. However, I hate those superficial parts that have appeared here too.

I am not american and never have been, thank you very much.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2008, 03:34:19 pm »
why is american a derogatory term?   We freed Europe, The philippines.... Began the road to worldwide democracy with the american revolution. Ended totalitarianism posing as communism... Not to mention inventions like electricity, the internet, etc etc.  ..... I know America has not always done wonderful things.. But what we have done is wonderful.

I know some around here may remember when the threat of soviet invasion, maybe no WW2 people around but being An American was once a compliment....

Wait until China rises to superpower status... American will again be a compliment and not an insult

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2008, 04:21:15 pm »
Americans "invented electricity"? Dude, read up.