project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Searching translators  (Read 141695 times)

Moredeth

Searching translators
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2007, 09:15:58 am »
me too me too.

would love to help the french translation (already working on the wiki pages, but if anything else need to be done, count me in)

glayj

Searching translators
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2007, 07:59:52 am »
Hi i am from Greece and i would like to translate the game in Greek.

Please inform me how i can do it.

Offline carnelian

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Searching translators
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2007, 07:20:07 pm »
Look backward on this toppic, you 'll find some link to the wiki information ( a lot to read ) and it's seems you can contact them on irc channel ( the channel is on this post ) but i don't know if there is any other translator from greece.

ak

Searching translators
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2007, 05:58:43 pm »
I could help with the spanish translation, maybe also brazilian.

Offline breversa

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Searching translators
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2007, 03:29:39 pm »
Hello everybody !

I have discovered UFO:AI a few months ago, gave it a try and thought "Wow, that looks cool ! Let's wait and see if it gets better"... and today it has ! :D

Since I have already contributed to the french translation of Battle for Wesnoth (http://www.wesnoth.org), I thought I could help you improve the french translation.

As a french army reserve sergent, I am familiar with the military environment and tactics (my primary occupation being infantry squad leader), and can help you improve not only the translation in that field, but also game design issues related to that topic.

And since I LOVE guns and am an armorer in my unit, I can offer you all my knowledge and interest in firearms and weaponry (and it does NOT come from playing FPS games !). ;)

So should you need my help (and I know you do, for I spotted a few mistranslations in the french version already :P ), just tell me... I stand ready ! :D

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Searching translators
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2007, 05:29:38 pm »
Always good to have an expert on board  :D

You sure are welcome to help with the translations. Everything you need is explained in the wiki, basically. If you need any help getting started just post here, or pm me or any of the other translators...

Offline breversa

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Searching translators
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2007, 06:09:38 pm »
Thank you for your welcome. :)

I've just submitted my first translation update to the patch tracker. I hope it gets committed soon. ;)

Sakusin

Searching translators
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2007, 03:55:35 am »
Is it possible for this game to display Asian character sets like zh_TW, zh_CN or jp?  I speak both Chinese and Japanese and I can help translating the text into these two languages.

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Searching translators
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2007, 05:33:07 pm »
Quote from http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Translating :

If our fonts do not have all characthers you need, you are able to use your own fonts by translating the font paths in your po file. Just submit the font and your po file (keep in mind, that the font itself has to be released under GNU GPL or Creative Commons with no "non-commercial" clause).

So that shouldn't be a problem...

Sakusin

Searching translators
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2007, 05:18:22 am »
So if I want to do a Chinese translation, do I just send you the PO file and the font files, or do I also have to make some changes in the scripts?

If I want to try out my po file in my PC, is it possible for me to

• unpack 0ufos.pk3 into base/ufos folder
  • change all fonts setting in font.ufo to the Chinese font in the WINDOWS/FONT folder
  • restart the game?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Searching translators
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2007, 08:16:19 am »
all you have to do is to send the font files (ttf) and the po file

you don't have to extract the 0ufos.pk3 at all - just translate the font filename. they are also in the po files - your new ttf font have to go into base/media - there are entries in the po files like: media/DejaVuSans.ttf just translate this entry to media/YourFontFile.ttf.

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Searching translators
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2007, 10:58:40 am »
Don't forget to rename your compiled (.mo) language file to ufoai.mo and copy it into base/i18n/xx/LC_MESSAGES if you test it...

Sakusin

Searching translators
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2007, 07:37:28 am »
Do I have to compile the whole game again once I change the font.ufo?

I will try to work on the PO file first and worry about the font later.  At first I wished to use the system Chinese font for the Windows version, but I believe that will have a very bad impact to game arts.  I will try to find if there be any suitable Chinese fonts under GPL.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Searching translators
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2007, 07:59:19 am »
Quote from: "Sakusin"
Do I have to compile the whole game again once I change the font.ufo?

No, if you have a file 0ufos.pk3 in your base/ folder, then you have to extract this file (in a way that you have a base/ufos/ folder later) and delete the 0ufos.pk3. If you won't do this step the game will load the fonts.ufo from the 0ufos.pk3 and will ignore your updated version. But changes on the scriptfiles don't require a recompilation.

Sakusin

Searching translators
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2007, 09:40:23 am »
Mattn,

thanks.  I will try it right after I finish my first version of zh_TW and zh_CN PO files.

One thing that bothers my translation into Asian languages is the rank titles.  In a western language, we always have [rank] + [name] like Sgt. Sakusin.  However, in an Asian Languages (at least in Chinese and Japanese, AFAIK.  I guess it is the same with Korean) we always use [name] + [rank].  It is also OK to use [rank] + [name], but it just looks awkward to native speakers.  Can we do anything about this?

Military rank of team members does not seem to serve any purpose except as eye candies in the old XCOM series.  Does the devteam wish to put some real meanings in the ranks?

Besides, what do such terms like "village recreational" "industrial small" means?  Small map of a recreational villa or an industrial complex?