project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Chinese translation  (Read 28518 times)

odie

Re: Chinese translation
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2009, 10:32:49 am »
The po files are updated (with wiki content) with update_po_from_wiki.sh only. It isn't done automatically.

-geever
Hi geever,

Eh, i think the both of u lost me there now. lol.

Wat do u mean by "the po files are updated etc yada yada...." ??

Does it means that the wiki are updated into the po files (in the src trunk) or .....??

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 02:18:38 pm »
Does it means that the wiki are updated into the po files (in the src trunk) or .....??

Yes, the game uses the po files only. So occasionally (quite rarely) we run that script to sync the text in po file with the wiki.

-geever

odie

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 07:37:58 pm »
Yes, the game uses the po files only. So occasionally (quite rarely) we run that script to sync the text in po file with the wiki.

-geever

WOW! I never knew such a script existed! Man, this should really simplify alot ALOT of things for me!

I tot that updating the wiki has to be a 1 by 1 by 1.... -.-" kinda thing. Haha.

Thanks geever for enlightening.
So it was the script tat was not synchronising properly? Is tat the case here?

PS: I might be quiet in the beta testing for a while, since i know tat the pathfinding issue is major hiccup and i am not able to help there further. I will be working with sunsolzn getting more translation to simplified chinese done.

Sunsolzn: If you are looking at this, you might want to email me the new translations when u have any, to my email account directly, preferably in Microsoft document format. Try highlighting the changes you have made in red? That would really help. I will then try to get the stuff back into text form / po format and commit back.....

geever - I have been reading abt a certain po editor..... quite too many threads here, able to point me to a link / homepage for that pls? And do enlighten me, its just a simply text editor rite? If so, i guess i be happier sticking to my document editors, then converting back to Ansi complex text format. (Aka unicode format. lol)  :P
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 07:51:10 pm by odie »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2009, 11:10:31 pm »
WOW! I never knew such a script existed! Man, this should really simplify alot ALOT of things for me!
I tot that updating the wiki has to be a 1 by 1 by 1.... -.-" kinda thing. Haha.

I'm not sure you got me right. The script copies translations on wiki into the po file for long texts (which have just a some_placeholder_txt as msgid). Did you do that by hand before?

If it doesn't find a translation it put in the English text to make the game playable (don't have just msgids which doesn't tell anything in this case).

So it was the script tat was not synchronising properly? Is tat the case here?

Hmm?

geever - I have been reading abt a certain po editor..... quite too many threads here, able to point me to a link / homepage for that pls? And do enlighten me, its just a simply text editor rite? If so, i guess i be happier sticking to my document editors, then converting back to Ansi complex text format. (Aka unicode format. lol)  :P

Please use, PoEdit.

ps "...Aka unicode format" <-- which one? ;)

-geever

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2009, 07:22:25 am »
Please use, PoEdit.

indeed - use a po file editor like poedit. please no other editor to edit the files. they are in 99% screwed after it and it would be a waste of time and a pity to lose the translation work.

Offline sunsolzn

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2009, 12:54:35 pm »
I look the po file
Revision 23764 Modified at Sat Mar 28 21:26:37 2009 UTC by geever and SVN commit log message is "updated Hungarian language file and synced with wiki"

the page http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/%E8%A3%85%E5%A4%87/%E6%BF%80%E5%85%89%E5%BC%B9%E5%A4%B9 Modified at 06:12, 16 December 2008 ,but the page content no sync to po file,what wrong?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2009, 03:49:20 pm »
Syncing is done per po file. See the help of the script:

Code: [Select]
$ ./update_po_from_wiki.sh
Usage : ./update_po_from_wiki.sh lang
   where lang is the prefix of one .po file (en, de, fr, ...)

-geever

odie

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2009, 05:28:39 pm »
I'm not sure you got me right. The script copies translations on wiki into the po file for long texts (which have just a some_placeholder_txt as msgid). Did you do that by hand before?

Nope i have not done tat by hand before, though i was thinking of.

Okie, now i know that there is actually a script tat reads the po file and update the wiki.... interesting. At least i know this task can be automated. :D Thanks for enlightening.

Please use, PoEdit.

ps "...Aka unicode format" <-- which one? ;)
I used the winword first to edit wat i need, saving the format for converting back to PO using wordpad's unicode standard (which does not bother abt language.....).

Unicode simply stores it in such a way, that when u tell the system its jap, it will convert according to jap style. If chinese, then chinese (trad / simp) style.

I show u one of such.....on Monday when i am back at office. Left my file @ office.
But will check out the po-editor. So far, i seen it in hex format, looks like norm?

I will need to look into this more bah. Thanks for the warning ahead of time! :) DOwnloading POedit now.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2009, 06:10:55 pm »
Okie, now i know that there is actually a script tat reads the po file and update the wiki.... interesting.

Well, no. The script reads the wiki and update the po file. :)

-geever

odie

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2009, 03:12:40 pm »
Well, no. The script reads the wiki and update the po file. :)

-geever

ORH!
Its the other way around!? Man!

So, if we have updated the POs, is there a reversal type of script for this?
I have downloaded the POeditor last nite btw, will check out how easy this will be. hehe.

I got some script up and wanna ask if something like the file attached will work?

Or will i have to get it in .mo or .po format?
Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2009, 06:14:16 pm »
So, if we have updated the POs, is there a reversal type of script for this?
I have downloaded the POeditor last nite btw, will check out how easy this will b

No, you have to do that for the long translations in the wiki

odie

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2009, 08:42:48 am »
No, you have to do that for the long translations in the wiki

Nods nods. Sorta like a copy and paste work i guess??

Thanks mattn.

Still on the attachment previously, is that document viewable in the original format in that case? Or must i use the POeditor??
Reason: Its much easier and faster for me to edit in the current style as compared to the POeditor. Yupz. If not usable, i will have to learn this POeditor....

odie

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2009, 09:08:57 am »
Nods nods. Sorta like a copy and paste work i guess??

Thanks mattn.

Still on the attachment previously, is that document viewable in the original format in that case? Or must i use the POeditor??
Reason: Its much easier and faster for me to edit in the current style as compared to the POeditor. Yupz. If not usable, i will have to learn this POeditor....
Oh, i think my recent confusion arises from a basic question - Should i be editing the .po or the .mo files??

Because i realised that when i edit the .po files, i see text as plainly as i could in any other text formats, (Save for unicode in Simplified Chinese). Could someone pls help me see the zipped file i have attached earlier and see if it works the way it should pls? Thanks.

PS: Attaching a screenshot of what i do see typically when i view a .po file. Of course tat is done in a browser, but after editing, i still see this format, as i saved the text and copied out in an cross-editors platform, retaining the unicodes required for oriental characters (in this case, chinese simplified).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 09:11:54 am by odie »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2009, 10:55:54 am »
you have to edit the po file - but again: please use poedit for editing (or any other po file editor)

it's not only about text editing, but also about plural forms and so on.

odie

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2009, 05:26:26 am »
you have to edit the po file - but again: please use poedit for editing (or any other po file editor)

it's not only about text editing, but also about plural forms and so on.
Orh Nods nods.

Understood mattn!

I will get this working and spend some time on the poeditor part. :)