project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: No saves during Tactical =more fear? lol not really  (Read 2575 times)

Offline shazzi2k

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
No saves during Tactical =more fear? lol not really
« on: September 06, 2008, 05:00:44 pm »
Just my response to the FAQ about Not saving in Tactical missions

In my personal view. the tactical missions are not scary. Saving in the middle of a mission is helpful. Some missions can take hours (exp on X-com not UFO:AI) ive not been playing this game long but when playing the tactical missions and some1 dies from an accidental move ect can be irritating having to re do the entire mission from scratch.

Or when the client crashed during a tactical mission you could zip it bk to a point quickly. Yes it also opens another can of worms that its cheating. Ill will admit when i first started playing the ordinal game. i saves it every1 or 2 turns so important soldiers did not die. But as i played i got more skilled at playing it and eventually had no need to save during a mission.

I thought it was helpful being able to save in early areas of the game in tactical missions.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 07:01:10 pm by Mattn »

Sacrusha

Re: No saves during Tactical =more fear? lol not really
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 05:44:37 pm »
Just my response to the FAQ about Not saving in Tactical missions

In my personal view. the tactical missions are not scary. Saving in the middle of a mission is helpful. Some missions can take hours (exp on X-com not UFO:AI) ive not been playing this game long but when playing the tactical missions and some1 dies from an accidental move ect can be irritating having to re do the entire mission from scratch.

Or when the client crashed during a tactical mission you could zip it bk to a point quickly. Yes it also opens another can of worms that its cheating. Ill will admit when i first started playing the ordinal game. i saves it every1 or 2 turns so important soldiers did not die. But as i played i got more skilled at playing it and eventually had no need to save during a mission.

I thought it was helpful being able to save in early areas of the game in tactical missions.

IMO not being able to save mid-mission is not about fear. Its about tension and challenge.

You mentioned that "some1 dies from an accidental move ect can be irritating having to re do the entire mission from scratch." and I agree with you. But the problem is with the controls if its too easy to make an accidental move, and with the game design if losing a soldier forces you to redo a mission.

The main effect of a mid game save option is that it allows you to take risks without drawbacks. That's the same as playing a variant of Tetris where you can decide which block comes next - boring.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 06:07:21 pm »
How about then auto-saving every 10-20 turns? It's sorta of a middle-ground.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 07:01:24 pm »
locked - use the search function - no mid game saving