project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Sending dropship on multiple missions  (Read 2550 times)

MIKED

Sending dropship on multiple missions
« on: August 18, 2008, 04:00:14 am »
I am playing 2.2.1 now and really like almost everything about this game.  I like the fact that the dropship can stop at multiple sites during the course of a single flight, but I have noticed that when I make multiple stops, the soldiers are equipped as if each stop is their first, and they have rearmed in flight.  I do not know if this is the intention, but it is a little bit unrealistic. 

So far I have seen that ammo is replenished in flight. I assume that this is not the case with soldier health and alive/dead status.  I also receive only a single mission report for the multiple stops.  Can someone check this out?

Keep up the good work!

Sophisanmus

Re: Sending dropship on multiple missions
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:03:08 am »
The original X-COM did not have the player equipping his soldiers at base, but rather stocking the craft before launch.  With UFO: AI's emphasis on weapon skills, and greater emphasis on non-firearm equipment, arming soldiers at each deployment site would be too much of a hassle.   Hence, soldiers are equipped at base before deploying, and it could be assumed that a PHALANX craft is carries some extra equipment stock for resupplies.  Of course, this is not a literal mechanic now, more of an "oversight feature".

Perhaps down the road there could be an option to stock the dropship of choice with an extra load of equipment, which could be used to resupply troopers between multi-mission flights and for restocking or weapon switching on the battlefield.

Shak

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 01:13:54 am »
Having a mixed ordanance selection in a section of the dropship would be great. A spare couple of rifles or extra explosives aboard a strike team vessel makes alot of sense when responding to such a varied selection of missions with limited intelligence.
  ...of course the aliens would have access to as many weapons when defending thier downed ships :)

Sophisanmus

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 03:14:40 am »
That would depend on the ship, though.  I wouldn't expect a Fighter to have a spare munitions stock, while a Supply ship's would likely be generous.  From the game balance perspective, these stocks could not be too rich, as they would likely be the player's for the taking after a successful mission.  I don't think the devs want a single downed supply ship to afford the player an entire month's worth of grenades.  Most alien ships are not troop transports, even if their crews are extremely combat-capable by human standards.

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 12:40:13 am »
Guys, at first the another problem have to be solved: invisible weapons on the ground. It may became useless to have a reserve munition in the ship, if you have to foot-step every of its cells to find where the spare shell hiding.