project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Some thoughts about the game  (Read 2244 times)

El Zoido

Some thoughts about the game
« on: September 21, 2008, 08:27:32 pm »
So, as I'm new to the forum, first hello to all!

Like many others I loved the original X-Com games and I'm very happy having found this game.
For the most part I really like it and always look forward to the next version.
I played some of the releases now, with 2.2(.1) being the version played most.

Unfortunately the last two days were more frustration then fun while playing the game.
As there is no possibility to save in-combat (I miss that, at least as some kind of auto-save every 5-10 turns e.g.), the missions sometimes can get very frustrating.
I had the biggest problems with the amazonas ("druglord") and the military installation missions, and some with the map with the two houses, one of them on a hill (sorry can't remember the name).
In the amazonas mission the problem is that your team begins in a very bad position, with all the aliens on the far side of a river, camped up in a couple of buildings. There are but two small bridges and every time I try to cross them I get shot from all sides.
I tried sniping the aliens from my side but for some reason they tend to hit very seldom.
The aliens seem to hit a lot more often and have cover to retreat to, as opposed to me.

Now the military base mission is a lot different. This one could be really fun I guess, if it weren't for the civilians (although technically they aren't as it is a military installation).
The AI-package of the civilians on this map seems to consist mainly of two options:
1. Look if there is a Phalanx member nearby, who's standing close to some small gap (like doors, stairs etc.).
   If so, walk there, block the gap and don't move anymore. Ever.
2. If thats not the case, just find the nearest alien and move there to get shot.  ::)

I ended up making huge detours, just to avoid the civilians...

So I think some of the maps could need some balancing. A good start would be more cover, making it easier avoiding being shot.
Should the smoke grenades finally be fully implemented, of course they would give a good tactical option for this kind of problems.

Last but not least, a couple smaller UFOs would be nice from time to time. I mostly (90%) discover rather big UFOs that are pretty hard to intercept.
Some small ones (e.g. scouts) would make the beginning much easier.

That being said, keep up the good work!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 10:13:00 pm by El Zoido »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Some thoughts about the game
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 09:40:47 pm »
hi and welcome on the board.

i'm very sorry, but i have to close your first post - please use the search function and search for mid game saving. this topic was discussed a lot already. to make a long story short - there will be no mid-game-saving implemented by this team. i'm sorry.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:34:55 pm by Mattn »