project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Latest real-world weaponry  (Read 39424 times)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: Latest real-world weaponry
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 12:24:01 pm »
Sorry, we don't allow non-team edits to the UFOpaedia.

Regards,
Winter

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008, 01:51:06 pm »
Yeah, I guess I am not considered a team member...yet.

But still, why just delete it all. Why not move it somewhere? I wrote technical stuff on how coilguns work and a pretty good description of it's operation (in relation to the 3D model) . Changing the text or using some parts of it..

Heck I even written on top, bolded, that it's a placeholder description.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 05:55:17 pm »
I just though of something.
I've been playing Jagged Alliance 2 (1.14 mod) and there's one think I liked very much - the new game options.

First you selected the difficulty, then you also could select normal mode or tuns of guns mod (a small selection of weapons or a HUUUUUGe one) and between Realistic and Sci-fi mode (affects weather or not you will fight the mutant crepitues and if you will find some special weapons like rocket rifles).

I was thinking of something similar for UFO:AI - a simple toggle to select between normal mode and tons of guns (all weapons available in singleplayer)

We could add some other weapons like a futurized AK-47.
Contrary to what some claim, reliability is a VERY important issue with special forces. The Spetsnaz use AK-47 extensively.

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2008, 06:06:54 pm »
I guess this is something that can be done, after the game is more or less finished

hotdog

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 06:13:55 am »
@ Sophis
I was getting at new ammo types as well. For instance the blaster is so heavy that most troops cannot use it very well. Why would humans not figure out a way to pack the power into a smaller device? Or at least come to some terms with it. Like making plasma based ammo for the MG they can already use.

Offline noob

• Rookie
  • http://tinyurl.com/68elb57 >>x-com style models<<
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 12:05:48 pm »
ak-101 and higher is also non bad weapon.. all russian army rearmed to them in 2006 as i remembered =)
also there are many ak-74 modifications.. AKS-74UB, AKS-74N.. etc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-101
btw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-107
is looking quite cool too =)

some photos
http://www.sinopa.ee/sor/bo001/bo04av/bo04av03/04ak107/ak107.htm
http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/1513252331015913979bbEwEu
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:31:09 pm by noob »

Juni Ori

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2008, 09:32:32 pm »
I have personally always preferred the heavier 7.62mm AK-variants (developer's name was Mikhail, not Anatoli), but the new HK416 (M4 variant (carbine variant of M16, if somebody didn't know)) looks very promising and it seems it is going to slowly replace M4 in US military. However, it isn't in any way anything new special something - it is just optimized version of existing rifle with german engineering.

But I do have a valid reason to reply to this thread. Weapons haven't actually evolved at all from the MP43/44/Stg44. It's the ammunition. This is where the initial situation should be focused: on different ammunition. Hard to believe there would be one-ammo-for-everthing in anywhere in future. Quite the opposite actually. Just my thoughts.

Offline EchizenR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2008, 08:44:03 am »

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 06:32:17 pm »
the VHS has completed testing and is now in production..they've gone from this version:
http://forum.cafemontenegro.com/attachment.php?s=236dfdb0ad3720b9f7821d472f9a020f&attachmentid=15358&d=1195736612

to this:
http://forum.cafemontenegro.com/attachment.php?s=236dfdb0ad3720b9f7821d472f9a020f&attachmentid=15360&d=1195736632

Frankly, I like the looks of the first one better. Still, a really mean rifle according to the specs.

for those of you out of the loop, the VHS is a next-gen assault rifle. Only 2.3 kg, , RoF of 600 5.56mm NATO rounds a minute, nearly recoilless.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:10:02 pm by TrashMan »

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 08:49:04 pm »
Everyone who has read my thread below knows how I feel about lasers.
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=3019.0

Mersault

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2008, 10:15:16 am »
I still love Calico brand weapons.
And the FN FAL was used by more countries than the M16, and was nicknamed the right arm of the free world. It had the accuracy of the m16, and the stopping power and reliability of the AK.

on topic though, I'm kind of surprised there are no microwave weapons in game. Considering that the first one is being tested in Iraq right now, they are certainly a possibility. Admittedly, it is Humvee mounted, but with a smaller power source, like the ones found in alien weapons...

Sophisanmus

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2008, 05:02:55 pm »
I don't know about the whole microwave gun thing in-game.  Last I heard, it had awful penetration potential, and that's assuming its being used on a target with sufficiently sensitive hide.  I presume that some alien species would have considerable resistance even without armor, such as the Shevs or Orts, let alone anything mechanical.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2008, 03:35:24 pm »
if the target is wearing a conductive material i.e. metallic armor... it will heat them up quite nicely.... Well done alien anyone?

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2008, 05:06:42 pm »
I'm not a physics major, or whatever type of science applies here, so I don't really know much about this, but when you start talking about "ray guns" shooting everything from microwaves to X-ray lasers to Gamma rays to Neutrons, etc., don't some of these things reflect and scatter a bit, having potential to damage something/someone other than the intended target?

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2008, 05:25:46 pm »
In general you can say that there are only materials for reflecting EM-Waves below a certain wavelength. I dont know where the border is, but you wont be able to reflect X-Ray and Gamma ray. Only in special cases this is possible, but something like this wont ever happen on the battlefield.

Scattering would be just possible with Neutrons, but there are just a few of them doing this. Most of them will stay inside the materia and deploying their energy.

But you have to take into account that most of the X-Ray/Gamma-Ray (also some Neutrons) will just pass through your body. If you want to kill someone without waiting for him to die on cancer you have to make a really high current. And this current wont diminish that fast. You can say, that you are able to pass through a few cm of materia (depending on the starting Energy and the materia) before you get the half of the current. This means you could strike another alien/human behind the first target, or strike to a thin wall.