project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: The Necromancy  (Read 20012 times)

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: The Necromancy
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 08:40:49 pm »
Or tougher (more hit points) aliens.  Before I get told to play on harder setting - everything else I would leave tha same.  No need to downgrade a MG to a pellet gun, make each alien gun THE ULTIMATE PISTOL OF DOOM, or turn each alien into a certified terminator.  Just give Otnok's monstrous health and maybe toughen up alien armor.  Suspect over all it will shift the flavor of the same somewhat, with human doing scout work and UGV saturating the target, maybe with the help of human snipers.  The close enagagements will become less favorable.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 09:08:49 pm »
Currently aliens don't have any difference in stats depending on their species, nor do they get the native bonuses they're supposed to be getting. They are also under-stocked in the armour department. All of this is on the TODO list.

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 09:14:20 pm »
Dang it...you guys need more contributors...calling all hands...calling all hands...

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 10:28:59 pm »
Damn you...Mass Effect....must...play.....Can't...resist!

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 11:05:56 pm »
Go play. Shouldn't take you long to beat it if you devote some free time to it. I beat it in a few days, though I didn't have any work to worry about on those days. I only did one playthrough though - the achievements didn't interest me.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 11:57:39 pm »
Poor, poor aliens...  They are trying to achieve the objectives while underfunded, underequipped, and clearly weakened by the smelly atmosphere...

Poor buggers

Aiki-Knight

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 03:30:41 am »
@Winter
Just a friendly critic Winter. Normally when you want to end a discussion or close a thread, I'd advise you to avoid trying to look like you simply must have the last word..and to avoid insulting the other side. Makes you look kind...immature or vindictive. I doubt that's the case, but that's the impression you're leaving. If you want to look neutral, the best way would be to lock a thread after someone uninvolved or mostly neutral posted.
Speaking of which, why was the tread locked in the first place? It was on-topic. ;)

I think you're over-stepping your bounds, and I caution you against calling a developer "immature or vindictive". To be honest, I think it's crazy to insult a developer. You're an armchair military "expert", and that's not a bad thing, but you're no expert just because you read Wikipedia articles and took a physics class. Your fantasy weapons are fine as a suggestion, but you insist on arguing something to death against a person who's helping create a game for free for you to play. I just hope Winter won't consider you a representative of a fan base that's a lot more respectful. He's hardly trying to get the "last word", considering your comments above (and he'd be entitled to, anyway).

Not everyone is interesting in deploying a weapon that some of us know is too problematic to accept. And frankly, as a former machine-gunner in a real army, having slogged the thing through the mud and on forced marches and having to sleep with one hand on the thing at all times, I've earned the right to say so. In the meantime, I think you owe Winter an apology. Keep in mind: these people are making this game as a labour of love, and we ought to preserve our respect for them even when they don't do everything we want. You can't say, "Thanks, but I think you're immature and vindictive." Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 07:55:19 am »
I think you're over-stepping your bounds, and I caution you against calling a developer "immature or vindictive". To be honest, I think it's crazy to insult a developer. You're an armchair military "expert", and that's not a bad thing, but you're no expert just because you read Wikipedia articles and took a physics class. Your fantasy weapons are fine as a suggestion, but you insist on arguing something to death against a person who's helping create a game for free for you to play. I just hope Winter won't consider you a representative of a fan base that's a lot more respectful. He's hardly trying to get the "last word", considering your comments above (and he'd be entitled to, anyway).

Not everyone is interesting in deploying a weapon that some of us know is too problematic to accept. And frankly, as a former machine-gunner in a real army, having slogged the thing through the mud and on forced marches and having to sleep with one hand on the thing at all times, I've earned the right to say so. In the meantime, I think you owe Winter an apology. Keep in mind: these people are making this game as a labour of love, and we ought to preserve our respect for them even when they don't do everything we want. You can't say, "Thanks, but I think you're immature and vindictive." Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Just drop it, eh? I don't want anyone carrying on the argument in this thread.

Anyway, claims to army experience cannot go unqualified. Name, rank, unit and tours of duty please! :P

Regards,
Winter

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 11:47:00 am »
I think you're over-stepping your bounds, and I caution you against calling a developer "immature or vindictive". To be honest, I think it's crazy to insult a developer.

I didn't say he was that, just that the last post leaves that impression. Big difference.

You're an armchair military "expert", and that's not a bad thing, but you're no expert just because you read Wikipedia articles and took a physics class.

That's just the point. No one on these forums is  military/weapon design expert.

Keep in mind: these people are making this game as a labour of love, and we ought to preserve our respect for them even when they don't do everything we want.

Don't forget I'm conitributing too ;)

EDIT:
Hm...ME done. That was short and sweet. :D

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:48:45 am by TrashMan »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 11:58:28 am »
Speaking of that, any word on the armour models?

(Talk about offtopic.)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 12:20:59 pm »
Will get back on them.... Patience..I have first aid and driving classes this week.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 01:33:48 pm »
thats not offtopic BTaxis this thread was about discussing our ideas... and i thought since daniel called it necromancy it should be called that.

Really powered armor would be nice lol.  But i believe it should be directly resulting from alien weapon or alien powered armor technology.

Also remember the old mechs from xcom.. the ufos had them but we couldnt get them.. any thought into bringing that into play and the hover tanks for the aliens.. those hovertanks were mean

sirg

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 02:46:31 pm »
Hey everyone, I haven't checked the forum for several months, and I see that you are still arguing over miniguns and power armors :)

I haven't checked it because I got the feeling there is nothing I could contribute with, other than disagreeing on some concepts here. My impression was that the devs really know what they want to do and they only need time or help to complete their project, so ideas like miniguns or whatever are just a waste of forum space.

So I'm waiting to see if I'll like the game in the end, and if not, I'll play something else...

I think that many fans here want a reincarnation of X-Com, JA and Fallout in one game, but this is a different game.

I didn't like much the idea of miniguns, because they aren't very realistic as a human carried weapon, but the idea of powerarmors is great, no matter how you want to counter it with wiki articles and such. No matter what the limitation are now, in the future, with the increasing development of robotics, there will be viable powerarmors that will protect the soldiers not only from bullets and debris, but from chemicals or radiation too. Besides, soldiers will be able to carry heavier weapons and more equipment.
My impression is that there is alot of emphasis on the scientific and techologic "realism", like the devs are trying to build a simulator, not a game. I read alot of debates over technical details and I think it's a waste of time to research this much when you are developing a game, but that's just my opinion. X-Com had many flaws in terms of realism and the combat engine had its problem, but it's still considered the best game of its kind, because it was fun to play.

Good luck with the development

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 05:52:31 pm »
Bigger problem with powered armours is the maintain cost. It has to be fuelled and needs a lot of maintenance -oiling, cleaning and so on.
While it would be MUCH to expensive for military mass use,  it still would be available for special forces having access to all weapon research of the humanity, like phalanx.
The only drawback of powered armour will be its weight- soldier would be really heavy and so many "bridges" maid of single board will collapse under him

sirg

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 08:07:11 pm »
Bigger problem with powered armours is the maintain cost. It has to be fuelled and needs a lot of maintenance -oiling, cleaning and so on.
While it would be MUCH to expensive for military mass use,  it still would be available for special forces having access to all weapon research of the humanity, like phalanx.
The only drawback of powered armour will be its weight- soldier would be really heavy and so many "bridges" maid of single board will collapse under him

You are getting to technical here, and I don't think this game is about let's have a science lesson while shooting aliens. I see alot of threads where valuable ideas are discussed and soon the discussion is transformed into a science lecture which doesn't help anyone. Bottom line, powerarmors (complete suits) are a great concept, they are cool, and imo they should be in this game, however it's just my opinion, not even a suggestion.

The problem of cost is a flawed way of thinking, because any army in the world would love to offer the best protection possible to it's troops, because people are very hard to replace (I mean well trained and experienced soldiers). So, even if one suit would cost 1 million dollars, but it could be produced, any army would fit their soldiers with them. Ofc, not every soldier, but at least their best, like it's the case here... basically you take care of a squad or two... not of several divisions. The problem right now is that such armors can't be produced, but rest assured that people in the military are working on this as we speak.