project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: The Necromancy  (Read 19071 times)

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
The Necromancy
« on: June 16, 2008, 01:22:02 am »
Continuing on my thought Daniel Trash and Doctor..

What is the rate of minaturization at our standard technological capabilities.   I was almost sure there was a formula for it.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Necromancy
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 12:38:42 pm »
Formulas are prone to change, since you're bound to hit some limit and then later break it at some point.

And it's not just the question of what are we (humanity) capable of, the question is what we are WILLING to do. In todays world thing rotate mostly around profit. So some things, no matter how cool or amazing or possible, won't be made if people don't see some profit in it. Keep that in mind.

OFF TOPIC:
@Winter
Just a friendly critic Winter. Normally when you want to end a discussion or close a thread, I'd advise you to avoid trying to look like you simply must have the last word..and to avoid insulting the other side. Makes you look kind...immature or vindictive. I doubt that's the case, but that's the impression you're leaving. If you want to look neutral, the best way would be to lock a thread after someone uninvolved or mostly neutral posted.
Speaking of which, why was the tread locked in the first place? It was on-topic. ;)

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 02:59:19 pm »
Actually it has gone an offtop
All arguments for MG, and against it were said- you think it will be useful weapon, Winter says that it will not work for phalanx and the tread has died, im afraid.
These small tanks (UGV?) would be an interesting platform for MG, but I hope it will have module contruction and it will be possible to rearm them, just like aircraft(Would love to have one with a rocket launcher or a heavier variant of grenade launcher, and all these plasma and particle canons to chose from...)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 03:15:17 pm »
As far as I know that is the plan.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 06:17:30 pm »
He was right to close the thread it had gone off and back on topic so many times it was ridiculous

personally im thankful he did it gives me the ability to post a new thread (for epeen) and to kind of expand on the original arguments for or against the idea.

So the topics id like to into here is,  miniaturization, power production, and yes bioware/cyberware.  I see a place in the hospital for implants.. when do i get to put wired reflexes in my soldiers so they can have 6 reaction fire actions instead of 2 or 3 :-p heehee

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 06:33:32 pm »
These small tanks (UGV?) would be an interesting platform for MG, but I hope it will have module contruction and it will be possible to rearm them, just like aircraft(Would love to have one with a rocket launcher or a heavier variant of grenade launcher, and all these plasma and particle canons to chose from...)

The plan is to allow the player to build UGV chassis and weapons separately, and equip weaponry and ammo onto the chassis much like soldiers. Equippable armour for UGVs is also an option under consideration.

The default weapon for the Triax is a small minigun. We do intend to at least implement a rocket launcher, a laser gun and alien weaponry. A grenade launcher would also be interesting, but it would be a balancing challenge. We wouldn't want it to completely eclipse the infantry GL.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 07:39:51 pm »
i think that UGV with a grenade launcher will not be able to climb upstairs or move through a narrow doorway so it cant be fired from the window or any other high ground without a ramp. On the other hand it would reduce highly combat effectiveness of UGV. I like the idea of replaceable armor- how about starting with steel plating, advancing to nanocomposite one and finally constructing one with alien alloy.
I dont know what idea of ammo for UGV do you have, but i think that UGV shouldnt have any spare clip- instead would base on one large clip installed before the mission- and no reloading during combat. 12 rockets would still be Hell lot, minigun or grenades would have bigger capacity.
Is it possible, to implement 2 weapons for more advanced UGVs? lets say main gun as a rotatory machine gun, and some grenades installed on the vehicle armor- launched at short distance while the UGV would be immune to frag grenades and light weapons (if its possible to implement)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 09:35:18 pm »
i think that UGV with a grenade launcher will not be able to climb upstairs or move through a narrow doorway so it cant be fired from the window or any other high ground without a ramp. On the other hand it would reduce highly combat effectiveness of UGV. I like the idea of replaceable armor- how about starting with steel plating, advancing to nanocomposite one and finally constructing one with alien alloy.
I dont know what idea of ammo for UGV do you have, but i think that UGV shouldnt have any spare clip- instead would base on one large clip installed before the mission- and no reloading during combat. 12 rockets would still be Hell lot, minigun or grenades would have bigger capacity.
Is it possible, to implement 2 weapons for more advanced UGVs? lets say main gun as a rotatory machine gun, and some grenades installed on the vehicle armor- launched at short distance while the UGV would be immune to frag grenades and light weapons (if its possible to implement)

UGVs will never have to reload. They'll be able to access all ammo of the same type at once, and (if possible) be able to switch ammo types simply by choosing another firemode. If that's not possible, we'll simply use the reload mechanism to change ammo types with a TU cost of 0.

We hope to implement more than one weapon for larger UGVs, but they'll be equippable as normal, nothing like what you describe.

Regards,
Winter

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 02:48:23 am »
Will the UGV be "in addition to" or "in place of" the squad members?

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 02:49:44 am »
thats a good question daniel... if its like the old xcom and it takes 4 soldier slots its not at all worth it..

although i did love using those hover tanks as scouts

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 08:08:09 am »
UGV carrying space is entirely separate from soldier carrying space, the two don't overlap at all.

Regards,
Winter

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 03:43:14 pm »
I agree with Trashman, but with one exception:

And it's not just the question of what are we (humanity) capable of, the question is what we are WILLING to do. In todays world thing rotate mostly around profit. So some things, no matter how cool or amazing or possible, won't be made if people don't see some profit in it. Keep that in mind.

This leaves out prototypes. Many times a big company (or even a smaller one) will do a prototype that works in most cases as a "proof of concept", but will be way too expensive for mass production. But they will still exist.
 So we should not forget that maybe very rarely we could have a unique prototype... of a weapon maybe... or a spaceship or something >:)

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 05:42:41 pm »
UGV carrying space is entirely separate from soldier carrying space, the two don't overlap at all.

Regards,
Winter

i love you lol

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 07:44:28 pm »

Regards,
Winter

thanks!  this rocks!

will the incrased firepower be compensated by larger numebrs of aliens?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 08:32:09 pm »
It will if I have anything to do with it.