project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: was that it?  (Read 4461 times)

hanus

was that it?
« on: May 23, 2008, 02:52:33 am »
Hello and thanks for a good FREE game!

Ok i think i played thru the whole game in a day  :D
Tho i miss things that x-com / ufo have and you dont.
More Science, More weapons,getting your base attacked and the sequense when u shoot down a ufo.
(if ya check x-com/ ufo u will se what i mean)
The one you use now is not good at all so..
You cant se if you are doing dmg or getting killed..
I have lost alot of times in the air and since i cant se anything usefull so..

Somethings i would like to see in this game in the future
1. More science.
2. More weapons.
3. A flying thingy like the one in x-com/ufo so you know if you are getting hit or he is.
4. More different enemys ( This makes more science).

Dont get me wrong its a good game :D

some questions i have to you when you have time.
1. How long have you been working whit this game?
2. Is this supposed to be a x-com/ufo game or is this ?
3. Is there any new patches to ufo alien invasion 2.2.1 Windows XP?

thanks in advance // Hanus
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 03:06:18 am by hanus »

Aiki-Knight

Re: was that it?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 10:53:14 am »
This is an awfully demanding question of a bunch of people who have made this game from scratch and with no hope of compensation. I cannot believe that this person requests "more science". Have you not read the research reports? The science behind these entries is truly impressive. I'd bet that at least one of the writers has done some graduate work in science. The science is extensive, and far more detailed than in any other game, and by far more than the XCOM series, in which the "science" was lacking, and only touched upon in the most cursory manner.

To play through the game in one day, and then to ask, "Is that it?" is indicative of a number of problems with this comment. First, it reveals that you have the time to do nothing other than play through the game in a single day. If you have that kind of luxurious lifestyle, then it's unfair to suggest that UFO:AI is a one-day game. That and the simple problem that I don't believe anyone can complete the game in a single day, not if you're actually doing all the ground missions as you're supposed to. Anyway, to ask "Is that it?" seems awfully demanding, and perhaps lacks some - ok, a lot of - respect for what's been done here. You talk about it as if, as a "free game", it's a throw-away, and you're demanding more. Honestly, it's ungrateful comments like this that frighten me with the notion that the creators might throw up their arms and say, "You know what? We've spent months of our lives working on this, and all anybody does is whine that it took one day to complete, and they complain that there's no science when that's clearly not the case."

I don't think you appreciate the profound commitment the creators have made to this project, one that has already produced a game that by far transcends the original. Creators, please don't think this kind of off-the-cuff interrogation represents your fan base. I for one don't even know how to express my gratitude for this game. I never seriously expected that even a commercial venture could produce such a sophisticated game. The detail of the game is tremendous, and I spent 3 hours playing tonight, getting through a whopping 3 ground missions. I named all my agents after my real-life friends and some family. When one agent died, I felt awful - she's a tough babe from my Judo class and I was really sad to lose her, even in battle. Every mission is tense, every end of every round has me on the edge of my seat, wondering what new devilry the aliens will unleash next, what civilians they'll butcher before I can stop them. If I spent all day on the game, I couldn't finish it by any stretch of the imagination. This game is to be played with the utmost care, with every move thought out meticulously.

Maybe the problem is that younger players today have no clue whatsoever how lucky they are to live in the world as it is now. When I was a child, there was Atari, and back then, we thought it was awesome. The game you've produced is light-years beyond anything I had in years past; I'm dumbfounded by how excellent the graphics, sounds, and gameplay are. Some people expect everything to be insanely new, and they want it now. I, for one, consider this game an answer to the prayers of a guy who played XCOM: UFO Defence when it came out. I savored the review in PC Gamer. I slugged my way through to the original Cydonian brain, and lost a lot of good agents along the way. I suffered the insanity of Terror from the Deep, with those tormenting Tentaculats hiding up in nooks and crannies of the alien bases. I played XCOM3: Apocalypse to death. I literally wore out the CD and had to buy another. I played XCOM3 for 10 YEARS, having resigned myself to thinking that it was the end of the line, and XCOM was no more. UFO:AI is as important and exciting to me as when Star Wars: The Phantom Menace came out in theatres after a decades-long hiatus from Star Wars that nearly broke my childish heart when, after Return of the Jedi, Lucas vowed to make no more Star Wars films. But, unlike The Phantom Menace, UFO:AI reinvents its original and takes it WAY beyond. Usher in the era of UFO:AI.

So, Creators, consider my point of view: go corporate. Sell the game. Then make sequels. Just show me the link. I'll pre-order right this second.

Shak

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 05:54:57 pm »
Ok so obviously Hanus's comments struck a live wire in your brain Aiki-Knight....

The poor guy is just trying to give some feedback about his experience and you've shot him down guns blazing.
Not so nice to someone who leads their feedback with "Hello and thanks for a good FREE game"

Hopefully you havn't scared him completely off the forums.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 06:28:32 pm »
1. How long have you been working whit this game?
2. Is this supposed to be a x-com/ufo game or is this ?
3. Is there any new patches to ufo alien invasion 2.2.1 Windows XP?

1. Several years now, especially if you include the time SparX and his team put into it (before 2.x.x).
2. No.
3. 2.2.1 is perfectly compatible with Windows XP. Hardware and drivers can cause trouble, though.

hanus

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 01:04:14 am »
I didnt mean anything bad whit it  8)
I love the game, otherwise i wouldent play it all on one day.

The thing is i found this game like 3 days ago on gamershell.
And i havent heard about it before, so i thought it was a remake of x-com/ufo that was updated from time to time, and wanted to give some ideas, and tell you what i think about the game.

Thanks for the info BTAxis, and if you do another game let me know  :P

and Aiki-Knight i dont understand you post..
"one day game" man there is alot of games you can clear in 24 hours but who said that is bad?
Like one of my old favorites FF7, i can clear it in 24 hours and still enjoy it.
I dont demand anything..? im just giving some feedback.
Even wrote a second time "Dont get me wrong its a good game "
(And yes i have the luxuary to play alot)
Since i work 5 days then free 5 days,
And
"Maybe the problem is that younger players today have no clue whatsoever how lucky they are to live in the world as it is now. When I was a child, there was Atari, and back then, we thought it was awesome."

why are you complaining if ya thought it was awsome?
What do ya think will happen in the game industry 10-25 years from now?
Its a circle and we cant stop it
So live whit it.
And btw are you the nr1 fan of this site Aiki-Knight. that would explain alot  :-*

Thanks again // Hanus

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 02:12:02 am by hanus »

Offline BAM

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 02:10:04 am »
Aiki-Knight:
So, Creators, consider my point of view: go corporate. Sell the game. Then make sequels. Just show me the link. I'll pre-order right this second.

I don't think that's such a good idea; it wouldn't be as fun to have to buy it and not be able to play around with the source code.

Offline zontar

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 03:32:43 am »
Personally, I think it adds a sense of uncertainty to the game when you are not sure wether you intercepters are giving the ass kicking or receiving the ass kicking. It adds reality. I real life, commanders are not omnipotent and they shouldn't be in the game.

Offline BAM

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 03:49:44 pm »
Maybe the helicopter has a video camera and the pilot has a radio which both send data to its home base...

hanus

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 02:18:44 am »
just send 2 interceptors and it will be ok :)

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 04:08:56 pm »
Personally, I think it adds a sense of uncertainty to the game when you are not sure wether you intercepters are giving the ass kicking or receiving the ass kicking. It adds reality. I real life, commanders are not omnipotent and they shouldn't be in the game.

Which i like a lot more

I never use the stiletto to short range and just not my style.. i send two saracens and always expect to lose one or both.. i usually dont lose both.. But hey you obviously havent met as many crappy pilots as i have ;-)