project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Thank you, but...  (Read 2478 times)

Panthera Leo

Thank you, but...
« on: May 19, 2008, 07:15:10 am »
Ok, some I'm being rude to say the least. If you're going to say 'Thank You' say thank you! Don't spend the next page in a half on how you would make the game better, or it would be better 'if only'.

If you think there is something useful that would improve the game, there is the Bugs & Feature Requests forum.

The words "Thank you" are a sign that you are making or about to make some sign of gratitude. No part of gratitude has anything to do with rebuking or constructive criticisms, they are merely fruits of one's affection, and are entirely separate from gratitude. On a less imperial note, 'Thank you' comes across a great deal heart felt with out the conjunction 'but' anywhere in sight! It make it look like you had no other purpose then to complain, but wanted to just soften the blow. Not that you where thankful in any way.

As a side note, again, thank you BTAxis, Draikon, Hoehrer, Kracken, Mattn, Richlv, TorF, Wilminator, Winter, and Zenerka for your excellent work and for making it free.

ysu

Re: Thank you, but...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 10:20:21 am »
It's like you're now making a rule that no-one can include two different thoughts in one post.
"From now on I declare that you can either thank, or criticise, not both"

Rather stupid, mate. But keep going, you may end up somewhere, eventually :D

Negator_UK

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 10:24:32 am »
As someone who programs games as a hobby I can tell you that player criticism is invaluble, which is why I focused on both the bad and the good when I gave feedback.

Its true that there is a lot of ways that criticism can be useless, so you have to take care that it is constructive. But I hate it when I write a game and everyone reacts as though they are my mother - it doesn't tell you anything useful about what you worked so hard to deliver.

Give credit where credit is due - for good and bad.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 12:46:03 pm »
There's nothing wrong with voicing criticism. However I have to admit I tend not to read them anymore these days, since they always contain largely the same stuff/stuff we've already come up with ourselves. Plus, criticism always runs along the lines of "someone should do something about this", but it never adds "and that someone is me".

Panthera Leo

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 06:45:05 pm »
I guess amend that for clarity, I'm not apposed to criticism(hints the link). It's just criticism, it's I've yet to observe a post that has the phrases 'thank you' and 'but' that could be understood as constructive or having to do with any form of love. Now, I've gone beyond rude, and I hesitate to post the next few lines they colder then need be, never the less:

At least some(most), read more as having the subconsciouses message "That's awesome!, but I am too. Because I'm so awesome, here is my input, and you have to accept it because I'm clearly so awesome. Also because I'm so awesome, You'll do this for me, right? I mean, you want to be awesome like me?"

They do no demonstrate any willing to be helpful in any way or encourage in any way beyond what could be classified as a foot note. Not something that one would think would accompany being thankful.

Quote from: 1 Corinthians 13
1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Edit: It's possible to be just thankful. It's possible to criticize someone out of love. It's possible to be thank someone and criticize someone. I've have yet to observe a clear fruit (edit2: that should read fruit of love, there are no signs as such.) of love and criticism in one place here.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 06:57:25 pm by Panthera Leo »