project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Assertation Failure Crash (Windows SVN)  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Assertation Failure Crash (Windows SVN)
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:01:35 pm »
I've noticed this bug in the SVN versions for over a week now, it happens when loading a saved game even if the game isn't updated since a session was saved.  Sometimes it happens right away when loading the saved game session, other times it happens after loading and either going to a base research screen or simply letting time pass on the geoscape.

This is on Windows Media Center Edition, SP3, Dual Intel Cores and NVidia GeForce 7300 LE Video Card, 2 GB of RAM.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
Re: Assertation Failure Crash (Windows SVN)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:38:28 am »
Does it happen, if you compile and run "windows_debug" version?
I have same error, but it only happen in 'windows' target. If I use 'windows debug', all work ok.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:45:09 pm »
I just tried doing that in codeblocks and for a while it temporarily solved the problem (thanks for the tip!) but then it happened again after a little more gameplay, the error message pointing to a different line of code - I'm sorry, but I don't have a screenshot of the second time it occurred.

Seems the SVN versions for some time have been rather unstable for me when loading a saved game, although I start over when grabbing updates and recompiling to avoid revision issues with the saved games.  I'll say this though - when it works the SVN version is quite impressive, much better IMO than the 2.2.x versions.

Thanks again for the tip, it makes the SVN version relatively more stable.

While on the topic of bugs, I also saw a very old graphic for the shotgun in the UFOPedia, one that didn't look like the model currently used in the game for the riot shotgun.

Offline tchristney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 11:16:21 pm »
I'm not sure if you do this, but whenever anything in src changes after a svn up, run a clean build.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 11:49:33 pm »
This is probably a dumb question, as I'm not a veteran coder, but does that mean (in codeblocks) running the "clean workspace" option before running the "rebuild" option?

The menu doesn't give a "clean build" option, although what I've done after updating from SVN every time is selecting "rebuild" (Ctrl-F11) and then running the compile.py to update maps, and then starting a new game.

I've noticed in the menu "clean" and "clean workspace" options, should I be running those first before rebuilding?

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 04:06:35 am »
You don`t need to clean and rebuild, rebuild workspace is 'clean and build'.