Technical support > Mac

Need PPC help

<< < (2/4) > >>

Doctor J:
Well, if you want to go that route, go ahead.  It just seems easier to me, and perhaps less error prone, to do the PPC compile on a PPC - gasp!  No, in all seriousness i'm sure it's already been done.  The problem is nobody who has a PPC machine has write permission to upload, and vice versa.  Actually, tchristney has already built the Universal Binary of 2.2.1, but he doesn't have permissions either, and the man who does is apparently offline for some weeks...

blondandy:
i have emailed the sf.net admins (mattn and hoehrer), asking them to look at this.

tchristney:

--- Quote from: ponkan on May 10, 2008, 11:48:07 am ---I suppose that depends on how easily an Intel Mac can be told to compile for PPC only -- I don't know if universal libraries can be used, or if a whole cross-compilation environment needs to be set up. Or if the utilities you mentioned are friendly to open source programs (i.e. nothing in the EULA that says resultant binary is for personal use only, can't be distributed yada yada). I would volunteer if I had a PPC machine, but unfortunately I don't.

--- End quote ---

You should just be able to just run

--- Code: ---./configure CFLAGS="-arch ppc" LDFLAGS="-arch ppc"
--- End code ---

and then run make as usual. Of course the big problem comes if you don't have ppc libraries installed which will cause the link to fail.

--- Quote from: Doctor J on May 10, 2008, 10:02:43 am ---UB disk images are very shiny, but [in my not so humble opinion] should be avoided for packages that are already large enough to be a problem for people with poor connections - that means us.  Also, users with full hard drives are going to end up using lipo or some other utility to remove all that extra fat they don't need.  Why not just release separate Intel/PPC versions - it's not that hard.

--- End quote ---

A bit of false economy that. By far the biggest portion of the download is the graphics and music. The libraries and executables comprise about 10 MB (of 400 MB) for universal binaries. So you might be able to save around 5 MB using lipo to strip out the unused architecture code.

ripclaw:
May I help ?  I have a dual 1,25Ghz G4 PowerMac with 2 Gb Ram and fast I/O.
OS is Mac OS 10.4.11, XCode is Version 1.5

[glendronach:~] % gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
[glendronach:~] % make --version
GNU Make version 3.79, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for powerpc-apple-darwin7.0
[glendronach:~] % as -v
Apple Computer, Inc. version cctools-525.obj~1, GNU assembler version 1.38

Darwin glendronach.local 8.11.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0: Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.24.17~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

I just checked out the sources from svn (2.2 branch) and gave it a try.
Is there anything to watch for/keep in mind/whatever to do - I usually only compile on linux and openbsd.

if someone had a "script" output from a cleanroom intel built, that would make things very easy.
(I assume that the code compiles, otherwise i might need instructions on upstream-patches.)

ripclaw:
[glendronach:Projects/UFOAI/ufoai_2.2] % make
 * [UFO] src/client/cl_actor.c
cc1: error: unrecognized option `-Wdeclaration-after-statement'
make: *** [debug-darwin-powerpc/client/client/cl_actor.o] Error 1

--> I guess you folks have a minimum compiler requirement you do not mention in the faq.  :)

now downloading new compiler.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version